What kind of tiles i have in my kitchen?

Old 08-25-11, 01:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What kind of tiles i have in my kitchen?

Hello,
I am looking to clean my kitchen floor and may be polish it. Before that how could i find out what kinda tiles i have on the floor? Its definitely not marble
Here are some pics:

I dropped a pot on the floor and as u can see its easily damagable:

Here is the dirtyness:

Thanks

Old 08-25-11, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
It looks to me like they are not tiles (there is no lines/breaks between the "tiles") at all but is vinyl sheet flooring. You should be able to put a temporary dent in it with a spoon. Should be able to clean it with most household cleaner but I would just use soap and water.

Old 08-26-11, 12:06 AM
is it okay to clean "vinyl sheet flooring" that i seem to have with ammonia? Someone mentioned in one of the forums. If someone could recommend cleaning products other than regular mops, sweepers, because i already have the steam mop for day to day cleaning. But i need something to clean that dirty sports. Also any polish or anything to get the shine back? Thanks

Old 08-26-11, 06:51 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It does look like vinyl. You can't tell yourself? Regardless, the same cleaners will do the job. Top Job, Mr. Clean, etc. Be sure to rinse well and pull the last stroke towards you, then rinse mop/sponge, use two buckets. If it's in bad shape use a wax remover or a heavy duty cleaner like Armstrong's New Beginning. Ammonia is good too. As for polish, not sure since we'd need to know what specific type you have.

Jaz

Old 08-28-11, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by JazMan
It does look like vinyl. You can't tell yourself? Regardless, the same cleaners will do the job. Top Job, Mr. Clean, etc. Be sure to rinse well and pull the last stroke towards you, then rinse mop/sponge, use two buckets. If it's in bad shape use a wax remover or a heavy duty cleaner like Armstrong's New Beginning. Ammonia is good too. As for polish, not sure since we'd need to know what specific type you have.

Jaz
thx for replying. are there types in "vinyl sheet flooring" too? What are my options?

Old 08-28-11, 03:52 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Oh sure, there are many types of vinyl flooring as well as finishes. Most sheet goods are printed, (like a newspaper), then covered with a sheet of clear pvc wear layer. These floors are also cushioned although most people will swear it's not cushioned. There are inlaid vinyl floors with various finished. Both types can also have a "no wax" finish which might be pvc or urethane. Not to mention dozens of quality levels from each manufacturer. It would be good to find out what you've got.

However, in general, use a mild detergent, NEVER soap, for regular cleaning. If the floor has dulled in traffic areas, you can apply a "dressing" for shine it. If it's dull all over, it may be a film caused by poor cleaning methods and/or products.

Jaz

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: