How to properly layout tile floor?

Old 09-01-11, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to properly layout tile floor?

All,

I'm looking for some insight on the best way to layout my tile flooring project. Here is a rough (not to scale) drawing of my project area:

Everything I've been reading / watching online seems to deal with a regular square room. Find centerpoint of each wall, draw chalk lines, start in the middle. What would be your recommendation of how to lay this out? My thought is to basically use 3 primary lines as my guide (entryway->hallway, length of hallway, & hallway->laundry room) and begin tiling in the entryway. I guess what I'm concerned about is if the walls aren't square throughout (I'm sure they aren't), how do I make corrections without everything looking out of whack? Would it be better to start in the long hallway since that is basically the "bridge point" between the 2 main open spaces?

Any thoughts are welcome as this is my first time laying tile...

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-11, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
I like to do a dry layout first to gauge how everything looks - it's a whole lot easier to tweak the design that way. Once you have a layout you like, then snap some chalk lines and break out the thinset.

Old 09-21-11, 01:41 PM
I usually try to center the main doorway and in this case I would also definitely center the hallway

Old 09-21-11, 02:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
As long as you are resigned to the fact there has never been a square room built in the history of man, you will be fine. Is there a logistical reason for tiling the hallway? Not to change your thrust, but you could tile the rooms on either end, settle on a good center line in each section, and lay engineered or hardwood flooring in the hallway to break it up a bit. Tiling your horseshoe will make you bald in a week

Old 09-21-11, 06:58 PM
Is there a logistical reason for tiling the hallway? Not to change your thrust, but you could tile the rooms on either end, settle on a good center line in each section, and lay engineered or hardwood flooring in the hallway to break it up a bit.
WHAT? The man wants tile, not wood, and the same in the 3 areas.

I would definitely want the entry and hallway to look the best. The "key" walls are the two straight walls in the entry area and the shorter wall of the hallway. Dry lay-out is the way to decide.

BTW, I don't know what videos you saw, but I have never started a ceramic tile installation in the middle of any room, even if it's a square. That is all wrong. That method can work for peel&stick vinyl tiles however.

Once you decide on the layout, you will snap a chalk line as a reference. Then snap another line at a perfect 90 degrees. From these lines you can easily measure to any wall to determine what those tiles will measure. You can shift the lines a little to "hit" the walls the way you want. You can also transfer these lines anyway you want by measuring a certain number of tile units. Keep in mind there is an unseen line at the edge of each tile even if there is no line drawn. Let me know if I confused you more.

Jaz

Old 09-22-11, 04:13 AM
Jaz, don't get too bent out of shape at suggestions. You do this every day for a living, and no doubt, can throw the tiles out like dealing cards. This guy is a diyer and probably the first time a laying tile in a large convoluted area. Anytime ideas can be thrown their way, I think it is not out of the realm of what we do here.
Starting tile in the middle of a room isn't necessarily "wrong", it just isn't the way you do it. I like symmetry on the edges, and if starting in the middle gives me that, it's fine with me. Shifting the center line to make tiles work out on size of course is called for. No need to have two one inch pieces on the sides.
No confusion here, just a different way of doing things. Take care.

Larry

Old 09-22-11, 04:59 PM
Larry,

I agree of course about the proper size tiles at the perimeter and centering etc. However, there is no need to physically start setting tiles in the center of any room to have whatever cuts you want at the walls.

After you have snapped the + lines you can easily shift the starting point to any other spot in the room. Remember there's an imaginary line at the edge of each tile. Starting in the center can cause some logistic challenges and takes more time too. Remember you can not work on the just installed ceramic tiles like you can with vinyl floors.

jjGlaze77, Can you edit your drawing by lettering the main walls and perhaps some measurements? Have you selected the tiles yet? If so some exact measurements.

Jaz

Old 09-22-11, 06:14 PM
Oh, I agree, once you start, you have to make adjustments so you don't have a funky looking edge. Sight at the entrance of any room should be the best view, regardless of what happens on the other side, within reason.