Quikreet Deck Mud?

Old 09-13-11, 02:56 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Quikreet Deck Mud?

I just bought 3 bags of 50 lb "Quikreet Deck Mud" for doing a shower bed with pitch to drain. I cannot find out any info on this stuff. It is as if it is a new product. I wantewd to know what the ratio of sand to portland was but no findie!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-11, 04:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Your deck compound will be more dry than wet. Mixing it with a minimum of water and taking a ball of it in your hand, tossing it up and letting it hit your hand, if it disintegrates it pretty close to go. You won't "pour" the floor, you will pack the semi dry materials in the shape you need to the drain. Here's a site, among others if you google "deck mud" that will give you mixing instructions, etc. Deck Mud - Dry Pack Mortar for Tile Shower Floors | Tile Your World

Old 09-13-11, 07:38 PM
J
I've never heard of Quikrete Deck Mud, is that the official name? They make a Deck Mix.

We generally use Sand Topping Mix for shower floors. Either as is (1:3) or add some sand to make it more like 1:4 or so.

Jaz

Old 09-14-11, 12:31 PM
P
Deck mud 154-50 quikrete

http://www.quikrete.com/Media/case-s...%20Profile.pdf

HD is selling it now. It must be a new product since Quikrete has not cought up with their website. Seems like no one knows about this stuff except me....and now you....LOL!
I'm going to get into a bag of this stuff this week to see what it looks like.

Old 09-14-11, 01:34 PM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I havent seen it yet either although Ive seen bagged deck mud from other manufacturers. Most likely nothing more than 1 part portland and 4 parts sand. Probably a good product for the diy'er as you don't have to buy in bulk or big bags and mix it yourself, and you won't have half a bag of portland left over.

Buy an extra bag or 2 so you know you have enough for the job. Return it if you don't need it. Just curious, whats the price, wondering if they charge extra for the convenience?

I've always made my own deck mud, 1 part portland, 4 parts sand. The key is to dry mix it well before adding the water.

Tell us more about your shower project. Is this a shower pan with a pvc or cpe pan liner, a kerdi shower or something else?

Old 09-14-11, 02:33 PM
P
I paid $3.78 for 50 lb bag. It says on the bag how much volume you will get, but I forget what that was. The portland was 90 lbs for 9 bucks. $2.24 for 50 lbs sand.
I bought some sand if it looks like too much portland. SO in reality 3 bags for 12 bucks should do it. If a bigger job, obvioulsy it would be worth cranking the numbers.

I'm doing a 46" x 32" X 2" max. shower, and did not want to deal with a 90 lb bag of protland.

Kerdi over the bed with Kerdi on walls and kerdi drain and probably Kerdi curb.

Old 09-14-11, 03:24 PM
H
A Kerdi shower is a good choice. 3 bags of that deck mud should be enough, but I'd have an extra bag on hand in case you need it. I have not done a kerdi shower in a while, but my recollection is that you need minimum of 1" of mud at the drain if its going down on a wood subfloor. Better to have an extra bag of deck mud than be caught short and you can always return it if you dont need it.

Old 09-14-11, 08:34 PM
E
Just wondering if this new Quikrete product is just a sand mix with a fast set and hardening time, much like their other cement products. Perhaps this is a product that lets you pour and float in the morning and depending on your approach, tile in the afternoon.

Old 09-15-11, 12:42 PM
P
I did another reading on the bag. Good for tile setting. mix clean water until mixture ...you can make a ball.......(dry) for maximum compacting. Sand and portland cement......just no ratio given. It did say something like ...let it dry until you can spread thinset over it without disturbing the bed.

Old 09-16-11, 03:06 PM
J
I had a hunch the new "Deck Mud" was the same as their "Sand Topping Mix". It is. By putting it in a deck mud bag there will be less confusion which product to use. We've seen DIY'ers buy concrete, mason's mortar, and yes even thin set mortar to build a shower floor decks. The nice people wearing vests often recommended those.

I just got off the phone to confirm it. Both products are the same 1:3 ratio. That's a little too rich for shower decks but works as is, just a pita to work with. I recommend adding some sand.

How much sand to add? It really isn't that critical, but I would consider adding 10-20 lbs per 50 lbs of the new deck mud. In the case of Sand Topping Mix which comes in #60 & #80 bags, simply adjust the amount. BTW, ratios refer to amounts by volume, not by weight, but it's too difficult to give those values, close enough.

Remember it's not that critical. To sum up, Both products are factory blended at 1:3 (cement/sand). The ideal ratio for shower floors is 1:4. The ideal ratio for other floors is 1:5. However some setters make mud as lean as 1:7, it'll all work.

Jaz

Old 09-19-11, 10:21 AM
P
Thanks for the info, I'm glad I picked up the extra sand. Will do it this week.

Here is what the tech said at Quikrete:

50# QUIKRETE DECK MUD (154-50) is proportioned in accordance with ANSI A-4.1.a.2.2.1. Unfortunately, I am not able to release the actual mix design. I hope this information helps. If you have any questions with the information provided or need additional information, please contact me and I will be happy to assist

Old 09-19-11, 12:28 PM
J
OK, let's get this right once and for all.

I called last week and was told the new Deck Mud was the same as Sand Topping Mix, which is 1:3. Only the bag is different so people would know which product to use for deck mud projects, like a shower floor.

Now you were told that Deck Mud conforms to ANSI A-4.1.a.2.2.1, which states:

"Mortar Bed Mix: 1-part cement, 5-parts damp sand, and optionally, up to 1/10-part hydrated lime by volume. Mix ratios can vary depending on local materials."

So, now I'm convinced it is a new product for deck mud projects and it is 1:5 as the industry recommends. Use it as is, no need to add anything.

Jaz

Old 09-19-11, 01:55 PM
H
Deck Mud for a shower receptor should conform to ANSI A-4.1a.2.3.1 which says:

A-4.1a.2.3.1 Mortar bed mix: 1-part portland cement
and 4-parts damp sand, by volume.

ANSI A-4.1.a.2.2.1 is for floors other than showers. A 1 to 5 mix will work fine for a shower floor though.

I'd not add any additional sand to the mix. Since there is some confusion on if its 1:3 of 1:5. Either of those will work just fine.

Last edited by HeresJohnny; 09-19-11 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-19-11, 03:21 PM
J
Johnny,

Thanks for bringing that up. I didn't mention the 1:4 spec for showers again because I had addressed that in post # 10. I was more concerned of the formula of the new Deck Mud.

I called Quikrete once again and it was confirmed by the technical department that the Deck Mud is 1:5, just as the OP quoted from their conversation. So now we're clear. Use it as is, as you mentioned it'll work just fine for both regular and shower floors.

Jaz