patching terrazzo flooring

Old 01-07-01, 09:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We are remodeling an older home in Florida with terrazzo flooring. Most of the flooring is in good shape, however, carpet tack strips were installed in one of the rooms and were removed incorrectly leaving noticeable holes. Is there a patch kit available or a technique we can use to repair this?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-01, 01:17 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Julie and Scott,

The bulk of terrazzo is white cement and marble dust with chunks of stone mixed in. The floor is ground and polished after it is poured.

If you simply try to fill the holes with cement (grout), it will show pretty badly, because the patch won't have any sheen and it will probably be lower than the terrazzo.

One method that might work for you is to use body filler from an auto parts store. You could tint it. Tub/tile repair kits work the same way.

John

Old 06-18-01, 10:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Question terrazzo repair

Originally posted by julie&scott
We are remodeling an older home in Florida with terrazzo flooring. Most of the flooring is in good shape, however, carpet tack strips were installed in one of the rooms and were removed incorrectly leaving noticeable holes. Is there a patch kit available or a technique we can use to repair this?
I am also remodeling a home in Florida with the same problem. Have you found a good solution yet?

Old 06-18-01, 03:09 PM
A
Hi
The holes you discribe are very difficult to repair, even with terrazzo since the sides of the holes aren't deep enough to allow the marble chips to fill the hole properly. An easy way to repair it, that's cheap, and doesn't look to bad, is too fill the holes with cement( the same colour as the existing cement in the floor. Try too get it as flush as possible. Then use acrylic paint, the same colours as the stones in the terrazzo, and paint in the individual stones. When the paint is dry, apply a floor finish on top, to match the shine of the rest of the floor. It's not perfect,but it's barely noticeable close to the walls.

Old 03-30-13, 11:16 AM
J
I found a way that works pretty well. I hope that you find it useful. It was a pain in the neck registering and watching some silly commercial to provide some feedback. I was removing carpet from my older rental home yesterday. I was pulling the tack strips out and then prying the concrete nails out of the terrazzo leaving a nasty hole. About 1/3 of the way through, I came up with a better method. Take a hammer and strike the nail a few times from each side, until the top of the nail snaps off. Then take the hammer and gently strike the remaining stub of the nail a few times until it is smooth with the terrazzo surface. You should find that it blends right in with the other flecks in the surface and it barely noticeable, even close up. If you have knocked it down properly, when you run your bare hand over it you should hardly even notice it. Have fun. Certainly time consuming work.

Old 03-30-13, 02:26 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
John:

Welcome to the forums. Please check the dates a little more closely, you replied to a 12 year old question and none of the participants have been here in years.

Old 03-19-14, 05:23 AM
A
The thread may be 12 years old-- but this is a problem I am dealing with now. Thank you John for your idea, I will give it a shot. The house we are renovating has a TON of terrazzo, so I am sure removing the carpet tack and filling the holes is going to be so time consuming. I'll take any advice I can get!