expansion over wood

Old 01-07-01, 05:06 PM
curlie
Visiting Guest
I'm putting in my first tile floor over a wood floor and have gone to great lengths to assure support under the house. I have one room that is unique in that half the room was added on at a later date and is on piers that sit on my carport slab. The remainder of that room is part of the original house and sits on a joist system that is supported by a continuous block foundation wall. My main concern is that the floor in the new part of this utility room is much colder since it is suspended over the carport, while the floor over the original house is much warmer. Should I bridge that junction with cement board and not worry about the temp differences? Would I be wise to create an expansion joint at that part of the floor because of the temp differences? I have gone to great lenghts to make sure they are both well supported, but the tile over wood coupled with great temperature differences has me concerned.
Thanks, DJD

Old 01-10-01, 06:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hey DJD,
If it were my house I would install some sort of an expansion joint at that junction. The wood will expand and contract at different rates based on humidity and temperature. Also use some sort of tile backer unit over the entire floor (leave an expansion joint at that critical point)Silicone works well for this sort of thing! It may only move microns but with Ceramic tile one micron could be one too many!
Regards,
Rich Gately (Tileman1)

http://www.gatelytilecompany.homestead.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: