how to tile around fireplace when it is slightly out of level?

Old 10-05-11, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to tile around fireplace when it is slightly out of level?

have propane fireplace in my master bedroom. it is elevated off floor about 2'. have hardibacker up and in process of putting tile edging around the opening of fireplace. noticed that the fireplace is out of level by about 1/8" in it's 32" width. so, is it best to put edging level/plumb and have unequal reveals around the opening? I had planned about 3/16" reveal so 1/8 difference is quite large. or should I keep reveals equal, have edging match the fireplace all the way around(not level/plumb) , and lay the tiles out of level to match? only issue I see this way is uneven grout line at top where tile ends and meets mantle. but this should be obscured by mantle sticking out and may only be visible when far away or when close if squat down.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-11, 07:23 AM
Are you saying the hearth is not level? If thats the case, trim the bottom row of tile at the hearth so that the tops of the bottom row of tile are level.

Not sure I'm understanding your issue so let me know if this doesnt help.

Old 10-07-11, 08:27 AM
there is no hearth. this is bedroom. a platform was built to elevate the fireplace. it sits in corner. the fireplace has a metal lip that runs around it. it is about 2" wide on sides and 1" wide on top and bottom. I have plywood that comes flush with this metal. then hardibacker over that, but the hardibacker overlaps the metal so just about 3/8" of the metal is showing is showing. there is the face that goes INSIDE the fireplace. I had planned for this face to completely hide the edge of tile. but it doesn't come out far enough. so I am putting tile edging all the way around. there will be two rows of tile below fireplace and two above. above top two rows will be mantle. below bottom two rows of tile will be listello, then drywall to floor. a picture would help but not at home right now.

so fireplace out of level. I can:
1. put edging and tile level, meaning that the reveal (the small bit of metal that is showing between the face and the edging) will be uneven. probably more noticeable than option 2 cause the reveal is small. I think top was planned for 3/16" and over the span of fireplace 30" the difference is reveal is just under 1/8". 1/8" is large when the reveal is only 3/16"-so across the top the reveal may be about 1/4" at one end and other end be 1/8".

2. put edging out of level to match fireplace, which will put tiles out of level also. over the 60" span they would be out of level by maybe 3/16". probably not noticeable. I think may be harder to do this way since planned on using laser level to help lay the tile. if not laying level, have to just lay first coarse and then let spacers keep it at same angle.

Old 10-07-11, 11:10 AM
The description is too long for me to follow. A couple of pictures would definitely be helpful.

Old 10-07-11, 12:36 PM

left side. reveal more at top, less at bottom

right side. reveal more at bottom, less at top. this one is deceiving cause picture taken from above so have to look closely at actual reveal. first impression looks like tilted other way.

bottom. reveal more at left side, less at right side.

bottom close up