Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

In rented property - kitchen floor tiles cracking and worried I'll be liable

Old 10-10-11, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi there.
Could someone please, please offer an explanation as to why the ceramic tiles on the kitchen floor of my rented property might be suddenly cracking? The grout around 4 of them is also so loose you could almost lift the tile up. The tiles have almost certainly been laid straight onto concrete.
I'm very worried as these have only appeared in the last 7 or 8 weeks or so. I have also noticed a big crack on the outside wall (it's a victorian built house), so could the house have movement and causing the problem? Nothing other than the occasional wine glass has been dropped onto the floor so I'm really confused as to why this is happening. I know I should contact the lettings agency but I am worried i'll be blamed and billed for the cost of re-laying the floor. I have lived here for nearly a year and they still haven't fixed the central heating so I know they won't fix the floor - but I'm equally sure they'll deduct it from my deposit when I leave soon.
I would like to have a go at replacing the cracked ones myself, but it'll depend on whether I can find a match. In the interim, if anyone could offer explanations as to why this sort of thing happens, I might feel more comfortable about emailing them and letting them know of the problem.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-11, 06:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

How are the cracked tiles located compared to the crack in the wall? If the floor has cracked and shifted slightly - that could cause the tile issue. Could you provide a few pics so we can see what you see?
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 10-10-11, 06:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Do you know how long ago the tiles were installed?

As Mark said, some kind of shift could have caused this but, barring that, cracks are usually installation faults.

Old 10-10-11, 10:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
No way the cracks could be your fault. Either the sibfloor has moved or they were not properly installed,

flooring installer since 1973

Old 10-10-11, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Many thanks for the warm welcome and also for your expertise guys. I will try and upload a photo later in the day. I don't know when the tiles were laid, but one was cracked when we viewed the property. I have also noticed grout coming away around the tiling in the bathroom. Odd.
But in terms of building work, it gets even better:
since living here the central heating has been weird - every time you put the hot water on the radiators come on as well. It was a nightmare in the warmer months. We had to complain several times before a plummer was finally brought in; he figured out that something to do with the boiler (diverter valve ?) had been fitted upside down. There is no access to it as a shower was then added and the whole access blocked off via tiles etc. He made a couple of holes in the kitchen ceiling to see if he could gain access that way. He was due to return a day later, but he didn't show. When we contacted the letting agency they said that the owner can't afford the repairs.
I'm just telling you guys this as surely a registered plummer would not make such a fundamental error AND then block off all access to making any boiler repairs?! Whatever numpy did the work probably laid the floor as well I am guessing, so yes, guess the floor may have not been laid properly. Although I don't know when anything was done, the bathroom and kitchen looked fairly new when we moved in so I reckon all the work was done about 6 months before we moved in (if that helps).
The letting agency guy is coming around tomorrow in order to re - evaluate the property rental price for the next tenant - this should be interesting!