tile is down, grout is Wed! WHat to do about sealer

Old 10-24-11, 07:39 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tile is down, grout is Wed! WHat to do about sealer

I just got my 20x20 tile dropped in over the weekend. The final stages are upon me and I need to know any info possible on sealing the grout. I have been trying to gather as much info as possible on grout sealer that is added to the mix prior to actually grouting. I just can't find much info on it. My installer says that is what he recommends but at $22-$40 a jug of this stuff is it worth the cost when 4-5 bags of grout are going to be used. My other concern is what if the grout I chose ends up to light of a color, if its sealed right from the beginning I won't be able to enhance the color at all correct? Also from looking at videos online is also seems the sealer mix has a white tint added to it which also makes me think that my grout might come out lighter than it should so do I go to the next shade darker and mix.

Any info would be great. Money is a concern as always but prefer not to throw away money of something that is not needed.

By the way, the grout that is being used is MaPEI Navajo Brown Sanded.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-11, 10:00 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Exactly what products is your installer talking about using? Name manufacturer names and product names.

I think you are confusing acylic/latex grout additives with sealer. They are not the same. The additives strengthen the grout and make it more flexible, possibly less likey to crack. Additives may also make the grout less susceptable to water penetration. Do not use an grout additive if your tile is a natural stone. You should only use a grout addtivie if the manufacturer tells you the grout can be used with an additive. Only use the additive that the manufacturer tells you to use, no substitutions.

Sealers are used after the grout is cured, and applied on the surface. The purpose of the sealer is to make the grout more resistant to staining. Sealers do not make the grout waterproof.

Consider useing a grout like Tec AccuColor XT. It mixes with water, and is resitant to stains, mold and mildew. No additives or sealer are needed. It can be used on ceramic or natural stone tile.

Old 10-25-11, 04:33 PM
F
The tile is porcelain, and I will be using Mapei grout. The sealer that mixes in my installer is speaking of is Miracles Grout Shield. You mix one bottle of sealer in with the 25lb bag of grout instead of water.

Miracle Grout Shield - Additive that Protects & Strengthens Grout

Old 10-26-11, 09:56 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I have not used that miracle product, however miracle sealers in general are very good.

Mapei instructions say to mix their grout with "water". I suggest that you call mapei to see if its ok to use the miracle grout shield with their cementious grout.

Old 10-26-11, 07:52 PM
F
Time came and I ended up going with the sealer you mix in. My installer swears by it and said if there are any issues he will redo all the grout on his dime so that works for me. I will post back with how it turns out and if I notice any differences.