Tiling a laundry/furnace room?

Old 11-03-11, 11:24 AM
Tiling a laundry/furnace room?

A friend of a friend asked if I was interested in tiling her laundry room. I said sure, then when I saw it found out it was more than just a laundry room. It's an odd-shaped room that has the laundry, furnace, water heater, and a small storage area. She wants it ALL tiled in.

My concern is around the floor drain and the drain pipes that are set into the concrete floor. I'm not sure if it's cool just tile right up next to that or if there is something special that needs to be done to prevent water from getting under the tile. Also, I want it to look nice of course. And, is it OK to tile around the water heater or should the heater sit on top of the tile?

If I agree to do it, I plan to use Ditra as the underlayment. I haven't checked with a straight edge but it all looks pretty flat other than a couple small craters that I'll have to fill in with something.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-11, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
Are you supposed to tile around the existing applicances or lift them up to tile under them?

Personally, I wouldn't tile a utility room but it's not my house.

Old 11-03-11, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
Are you supposed to tile around the existing applicances or lift them up to tile under them?

Personally, I wouldn't tile a utility room but it's not my house.
Well, I believe the idea was to tile around everything, but if that's a bad idea I'm looking for reasons why from professionals and/or people who have lots of experience with this kind of thing. I'm just not sure why kind of problem (or even code violations?) might arise from just tiling around everything, leaving the drain and pipes as is (other than adjusting any PVC pipes to account for the new floor).

Old 11-04-11, 08:58 AM
Tiling around the furnace, water heater, plumbing and drain really would not look very good. Generally, tile and thinset mortar would not be affected by water.

If you want the floor to look nice, clean it up and paint it with some of that nice garage floor paint.