heated floor over concrete slab

Old 11-10-11, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
heated floor over concrete slab

Hello,
I am doing a makeover in my mud room and would like to put in floor heating in there, along with porcalin tiles(6X6). The room has a concrete slab floor and two of the walls are exterior walls along with the door. I live in Wisconsin so I am worried about frost making its way into the concrete and sucking the heat out of the floor. I do have 3/4 foam insulation on the outside of the cinder block foundation and 2" foam insulation on the inside of the cinder block foundation, but it only goes down a foot or so. This is a 106 year old house, so there is a limestone rock foundation underneath the cinder blocks. I had a drainage problem and the original limestone foundation was rotted, so I dug down to good limestone, poured a footing on top of the limestone and then put a row of cinder blocks. this is the reason the foam insulation goes down a foot. Is there an insulating underlay I can use to help with heat loss? What about condensation, is that going to be a problem. If this is just a bad idea, please let me know. I appreciate any help I can get.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-11, 07:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You'll definitely want insulation between the slab and the in-floor heating or you'll lose a lot of heat downward. How much room do you have to work with here, you're potentially adding several inches of height to the floor.

Old 11-10-11, 08:07 AM
Unfortunately I thought of the heated floor after we poured the new floor. I have
1 3/4" from the floor to the bottom of the door. I figure I need 5/8" for the door mat, so I gues I have 1 1/8" to work with. I was told the electric cable and mortor will take up 1/2". The tile I want to use is 6X6, but the thickness is not dtermined as i haven't picked out the exact tile. I don't have to use porcelin if it will be too thick. I saw something about cork underlay and it is 3/8 or 7/16 thick. I know the room I have is an issue, so that's why I need help. Maybe there is something thinner than the cork that will work.

Last edited by aquilar; 11-10-11 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-10-11, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
No, you just poured the slab and didn't put the heat in it then?

Old 11-10-11, 08:39 AM
I know, I know. I am a first time home owner who knows nothing about nothing. Money was an issue because it was supposed to be just a door and a window that turned into a foundation, wall, slab, door, and a window. Really, if this is not a good idea at this point, just tell me and I will abandon the idea. Money is still an issue, but I figure if I am 4,000.00 in the hole already why not put in another 500.00 and try to increase the value of the house, instead of just repairing it. I figure heated flooring will add value.