Big tile in a small half bath

Old 11-28-11, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Big tile in a small half bath

I'm remodeling a small half bath (5ft x 6ft). I've had several people suggest using very large 18 inch tiles. I'm concerned it may dominate the room, but it has it's advantages too. Any thoughts or experience?

Also, I was also considering using 3-4 inch cut tiles as the baseboard, instead of the traditional wood baseboards. My girlfriend is afraid it will look like a commercial bathroom, rather than a residential. Any thoughts, ideas, or tips are appreciated.

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-11, 09:01 AM
Selecting a tile size is pretty much subjective but conventional wisdom suggests that smaller tiles look better in smaller baths.

Personally, I would probably use 12" or maybe even 8" tiles in a half bath. I have conventional wood baseboards in a couple of baths and bullnose base tiles in a couple more. My wife likes the wood baseboard better but for me it's flip a coin.

Old 11-28-11, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
My bathroom is about 4' x 6' with 12" tiles and they're fine but I would not go any bigger than that. The smaller the tiles, the more of them you have to lay, so I don't like the idea of going much smaller than 12".

I work with someone who did a 1" glass tile mosaic in one of her bathrooms several years ago - it was a lot of work but she still loves it.

Old 11-28-11, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
We put 12" tiles in our powder room and they look really nice. I personally don't think it would look nice any larger. In fact, we bought a few 16" tiles first, to see how they would look, but they really were too big.
I prefer a wood baseboard, but I think that's a preference thing.

Old 11-28-11, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Geez, didn't see the baseboard question first time through. I'd match whatever baseboards you have in the rest of the house.

Old 11-29-11, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the responses. You have confirmed what I thought about doing the 12 inch tiles. As for the base boards, I'm thinking of doing the bull nosed tile that matches the tile I am laying. Thanks again.

Old 11-29-11, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by bigdog43 View Post
I'm remodeling a small half bath (5ft x 6ft). I've had several people suggest using very large 18 inch tiles. I'm concerned it may dominate the room, but it has it's advantages too. Any thoughts or experience?

Also, I was also considering using 3-4 inch cut tiles as the baseboard, instead of the traditional wood baseboards. My girlfriend is afraid it will look like a commercial bathroom, rather than a residential. Any thoughts, ideas, or tips are appreciated.

Thanks...

People have been giving you great suggestions! Bigger the better. The opposite is the grout lines dominating the space. Bigger slabs do not dominate.
The drawback is less slip resistance. The 3" - 4" will give you better traction for your feet to grip the grout lines.

Your girl friend is correct, that it will look like a commercial bathroom, where they are very concerned with slips and liability.