tile over existing hardwood floor

Old 11-30-11, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tile over existing hardwood floor

Hi,
I'm looking to put down porcelain tile over an existing hardwood floor in the kitchen. The existing floor is 3/4" tongue and groove planks laid down directly over the joists, no subfloor. The house is about a hundred years old, but this is not the original floor. I was thinking of putting down 1/2" plywood on top of the wood floor, followed by 1/4" backerboard. Is this an okay plan? Would I need to worry about blocking between the joists? Should I put down a membrane between the plywood and the hardwood? The hardwood appears to be in good shape (no flex or squeaks, but it suffers from scratches and a few spots of water damage).

Thanks,
Sandra

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-11, 02:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Tile over hardwood is not a good idea, I would remove it.

What size floor joists do you have, what is the spacing between them and what is the unsupported span?

Old 11-30-11, 06:30 PM
Hi,
Thanks for replying. The floor joists are 8" x 2.75". They are somewhat unevenly spaced in this area, averaging 15" from center to center (some are 10", one wide gap spans 21"). I don't know how to determine the unsupported span.

Tearing up the existing floor (which has cabinetry on it) is outside my budget right now. I'm between jobs, so was hoping to take advantage of this time to get some work done. Can you elaborate on why tile over wood is bad? If I tore up the existing, what would I put down for the subfloor?

Thanks again.

Old 12-01-11, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Pretty good info in this thread:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/fl...-starting.html

Old 12-01-11, 10:30 AM
Sandra

The hardwood planks are the subfloor. Provided the joist structure is adequate, you can do as you planned, that is a layer of 1/2" plywood and then 1/4" cement board.

Make sure that all the planking is solidly secured to the joists. If not, add screws as necessary. The 1/2" plywood needs to be exterior glue cc plugged or better. Make sure to set the cement board in a fresh bed of thinset as per the manufacturers requirements. Read the cement board manufacturers instructions and follow them, and you should be fine. Any questions, let us know here.

What is the unsupported span of your floor joists ( the distance between supports from below)?