Squeaking floor tiles

Old 12-11-11, 07:56 AM
Squeaking floor tiles

I've encountered squeaking floors in the past, but they have always been wooden.
The current problem involves a squeaking in one corner of the bathroom, which has a tiled floor.
The squeak is occurring when you step on that area of the floor, and the floor squeaks again when you step away (releasing your weight). The squeak is in the area between the toilet and the shower stall.
I have done a non-invasive check for leaks-I went into the crawlspace below the bathroom, poked around, but did not remove the sheetrock ceiling on the crawlspace. No leaks visible.

Perhaps related to the squeaks, was a strip of broken grout (in the area of the squeak) between the last tile and the base of the shower stall- which I guessed was the result of the slight movement that produced the squeak.
I removed the broken grout, and saw a narrow strip-canyon like hole below where the grout had been. A putty knife revealed it to be about 2 inches deep.
My goals would be to silence the squeak, and to attend to any other problems that may have caused the squeak.

I'm not sure what to do. Suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-11, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
Sounds like you have movement, just can't tell where. From the area, though, it's hard not to think of a leak - even just the standing water dripped from someone get out of the shower.

The ceiling in the crawlspace is sheetrocked? Never seen that before.

Old 12-15-11, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
Sounds like you have movement, just can't tell where. From the area, though, it's hard not to think of a leak - even just the standing water dripped from someone get out of the shower.

The ceiling in the crawlspace is sheetrocked? Never seen that before.
Yes, the crawlspace is below an addition,(approx 8ft x 25ft), that was added in 1977 by the
previous owner. The crawlspace floor is concrete, and the ceiling has sheetrock.

I have temporarily replaced the broken grout with caulk-in case of any "shower drippings".
I'm not sure the slight floor movement caused the grout to crack, or if the cracked grout and the movement is causing the squeak.
Again, any suggestions would be welcome!

Last edited by Mikedel; 12-15-11 at 09:41 AM. Reason: typing skills stink
Old 12-15-11, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Likely the movement caused the grout to crack.

Old 12-15-11, 01:12 PM
If you can stick something in the joint and it goes down 2", you have found your problem. The joints on the underlayment should have been taped and mudded. Additionally, the underlayment seams should not line up with the subfloor seams. When sticking something into that joint, it should only go down the depth of the tile. There should be no voids. If you are just interested in a temporary fix, fill the joint with backer rod and then caulk over it. Likely you have more serious long term problems.