grout color

Old 12-17-11, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
grout color

I am looking for suggestion on small tiling project. I have some cracked in front of a door and unfortunately we don't have any spare. Thus I am planning doing an accent piece like a doormat.

The current tiles and grout are light color and the doormat will be darker tiles. Using the same grout would make the grout line standout to much on the doormat. Should I use a different grout color? Is this gonna be weird?

I couldn't find many examples of doormat online thus I wonder if this is a weird thing to do.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-11, 03:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I'm a painter and not a tile guy but I've painted a lot of new construction and am somewhat familiar with how the other trades do their jobs. I've not heard it called a 'door mat' but a 'medallion' of sorts isn't unheard of. I would think you'd have 2 choices, either use a different grout color for those tiles or use a tile that can be butted up without needing a grout joint.

I'm sure the tiles guys will be along later with better info for you

Old 12-18-11, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Color/matching tile and grout is really a personal choice. The bigger issue is why did the tile and grout crack, and what did you do to prevent it from happening again? If the answer is nothing, then it will crack again.