Asbestos and tile size

Old 12-19-11, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Asbestos and tile size

I am replacing carpet in my basement house with floating hardwood floor.

House was built in 1974 and has old tiles under the carpet which are red and 12 x 12 size. Anyway to know if that is asbestos or not?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-11, 03:11 PM
Old tiles and hazard

I am replacing carpet in my basement house with floating hardwood floor.

House was built in 1974 and has old some type of substance tiles under the carpet which are red and 12 x 12 size. Anyway to know if that is asbestos or not?

I ask because need to drill small holes in concrete floor for my transitions. Each of my 4 transitions requires 3 holes for the screws.

Old 12-19-11, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
There used to be a saying about 8x8(?) tiles of that period being asbestos, anything else was ok...not so sure of that.

The only way to really know is to have it tested.

Old 12-19-11, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Merged threads to correct Forum. Left both original post due to more info in second post.

Old 12-19-11, 05:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
There were many 12 x12 tiles that contained asbestos. If you are concerned have them tested.

Old 12-19-11, 06:07 PM
Any tile from that era, especially those used on and below grade most likely contain some asbestos. There should not be any hazard unless you grind or sand and then breathe the airborne particles for a long time. It's not smart to purposely breathe foreign matter in any case though. Drilling a few dozen holes shouldn't amount to anything. But moisten as you work to keep dust down.

The type of tiles generally used on concrete were asphalt and vinyl asbestos. (Both contain asbestos). These types of tiles were very cheap and so why they were used in such areas. Asphalt tiles were the older types, they were mostly 9x9" by 3/32" or 1/8" in thickness. Vinyl asbestos also came in 9x9 but most were 12x12, for residential were mostly 1/16" thick. They also were made in thicker gauges for commercial use.

Jaz