Any suggestion for tile udishwasher?

Old 12-28-11, 08:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any suggestion for tile under a dishwasher?

After a very successful laying 18x18 travertine in my dinning area, I decided to put the same travertine in my kitchen. My kitchen is about 200 square feet with an island in the middle for the sink and dishwasher. The kitchen has vinyl floor. I am planning to install the travertine under the dishwasher as well. my concern is that it may not fit since the current space is made just fit (with 34-1/2 inches in high). And that is the recommend high for this dishwasher. If I do not install the travertine or put the plywood underneath the dishwasher to level up the floor I might not be able to remove the dishwasher later on for maintenance or for new install. If I level up the base of the dishwasher with the kitchen floor I may not be able to install my existing dishwasher.

Any suggestion?

Last edited by youhour; 12-28-11 at 08:20 PM. Reason: missing words in title
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-11, 03:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
In reading your post, I have one concern. Are you laying this travertine directly on wood or linoleum? Aren't you using concrete backer underlayment? I am afraid what you have may spell disaster in short order. The legs of a dishwasher are forgiving to an extent. I have had it both ways. I was able to raise the legs, install the cbu and tile and was able to remove the dw. On another install, we had to remove the countertop, band it (as it should have been done in the first place) reinstall the countertop and then lay the cbu and tile for a perfect removal. Really concerned about your installation. Fill us in.

Old 12-29-11, 06:39 AM
Sorry for not being clear earlier...

The current subfloor is concrete with vinyl cover. I am planning to remove the vinyl and clean up the subfloor down to the concrete. After that I have a clearance of 34-5/8. Not very much room for tile per dishwasher install instruction.

Yeh... I am too concern about this tile installation.

just to see how much clearance I have, I place a small piece of Travertine on top of the subfloor without any thinset. I see that I have about 1/4 inch from the Travertine to the base of the dishwasher. Adding thinset will reduce most of those clearance...

Do you see any problem with 1/4 inch clearance?

I would like to avoid removing the countertop if possible.

Old 12-29-11, 10:49 AM
What model dishwasher do you have? I thought most required a 34" opening.

If your dishwasher has wheels you can probably lower it an additional 1/2". I have a whirlpool that only requires 33 1/2" with the wheels removed.

Old 12-29-11, 06:33 PM
Wow. I do not know dishwasher comes in different size. I'm learning new thing every day.

I have GE CDW9000 model. It does not have wheel. However, it has the adjustable leg. The installation instruction says "high must be 34-1/2 +/-1/4". I might be able to reduce about 1/2 inches from the current high. I might be able to get away with this. However, if that does not work, any recommendation to remove the adjustable legs, which give me about 1/8" more?