Tiled Basement Floor Not Pitched Towards Drain

Old 12-29-11, 05:56 AM
Question Tiled Shower Floor Not Pitched Towards Drain

Hello. So I recently purchased a house where the previous owners updated one bathroom. While it looks nice, they definitely used the cheapest products available and rushed through it. Currently the shower, which is a stall shower with a tiled floor, is not pitched towards the drain. In one area in particularly a puddle of water stays. I am afraid that the area will eventually start rotting if that is possible. Is the only way to fix this is to rip out all the tiles and start over? Is there an easier and less expensive way? Thanks!!

Last edited by longislandgirl; 12-29-11 at 06:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-11, 12:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums, LIG!! IF, and only if, the shower was properly constructed and pan has a liner, then your don't have too much to worry about, other than the puddle being obnoxious. It is not an ideal situation, but I worry with the statements that you made concerning their haste and poor quality of materials, I wonder if the pan was properly built. Let's say it wasn't, then you will need to tear out the floor and redo it. Not easy. One way to get the water to run to the drain would be to remove the tile and the thinset, hopefully exposing a concrete packed bed. At that point you may be able to use your thinset to reset the tiles in the proper configuration to allow good drainage. You may not be able to determine any of this without exploratory surgery. For now, and until you are better able to get this done, leave it. If you need to address it now, we're here and can guide you through it.