Backer Board Procedure

Old 01-23-12, 09:09 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Backer Board Procedure

I just tiled my bathroom with backer board under it, with thinset. I used backer board screws every 6 inches throughout.

I am about to tile my 11x17 kitchen, and it has been suggested to me that I just need to run roofing nails into the joists.

If I can avoid putting down 400 screws, I will. What's the correct method? The floor in the kitchen is currently plywood and vinyl.

Thanks!

Old 01-23-12, 09:16 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Galvanized roofing nails are an acceptable fastener for securing Hardibacker. Minimum length is 1 1/4".

Old 01-23-12, 09:32 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How many need to go down? Just on the joists, or every 6" through the entire board like I did on my bathroom?

Old 01-23-12, 02:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you are using Hardibacker, there are fastener detents on the face. Otherwise along the edge and every 6" in the field. Roofing nails are accepted, but I get a warm and fuzzy with backer screws.

Old 01-24-12, 02:42 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
it has been suggested to me that I just need to run roofing nails into the joists.
Do not do that, it's wrong. Don't be tempted to use longer fasteners to hit the joists. You do not want to hit the joists. Roofing nails are perfectly fine. Faster, cheaper and you might even use more. In addition I like the bigger flatter head that holds better and can be driven flush.

Jaz

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: