grout questions-sanded vs non-sanded and color issues

Old 01-25-12, 06:41 AM
grout questions-sanded vs non-sanded and color issues

I tiled laundry room and bathroom. used custom building products sanded grout from home depot. tiles had 1/4" spacing. the laundry room color came out exactly same as color on the chart. but the bathroom grout, which was a different shade and actually darker, came out way lighter than the color chart and in fact lighter than the grout in laundry room. two bags and both came out this same light shade. I just had to do the shower threshold so still had some from the bag so used it. the stuff remaining in bucket I threw out. the shower threshold came out the same light color. BUT, the stuff I threw away came out much darker and in fact, matched the color on the color chart! so grout from a single mixed batch dried totally different colors-very light when placed between the porcelain tiles but darker and true to color chart when just thrown into a clump in the garbage. so what is going on here? did the tile pull the moisture out of grout too quickly and change color? I had heard something about keeping grout moist like you do with concrete by covering it, but other forums dismissed that advice.

I am going to grout my fireplace. I used subway tile with 1/8" spacers on the face of fireplace. should I use sanded or non-sanded? I forget if ceramic or porcelain? but it is not shiny. I think some instructions with tile said to put on a sealer on tile first to act as grout release. then grout. then apply sealer again. first sealer application is supposed to prevent grout from sticking to tile? never heard this before and I would think that the sealer would end up in grout spaces as well and prevent the grout from sticking there as well.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-12, 08:48 PM
first, let me say i'm not a fan of Custom grouts and thinsets, that being said, i'm not very familiar with them. Mixing, drying times, how much water was used, plus the substrate can effect the colors of the grout. Customs uses alot of polymers/ laytex in their grouts, when they started this in the eighties, they had alot of complaints about coloring blotches in their grouts, i'm sure thats been corrected and job conditions are now to blame. Also mixing by hand will not produce even coloring, you need to use a mechanical mixer, let the grout slake, then remx. never add water to mixed grout. As far as sealers before grouting, if the tile surface absorbs water, then seal it before grouting, glazed tile does not need sealed before grouting, even matt finishes in glazed tile shouldn't be sealed before grouting. Unsanded grout is for 1/8th or smaller joints, anything bigger needs sanded grout
Also, damp curing grout is no longer nessisary with the additives in them now

Old 01-27-12, 09:13 AM
to clarify, I had a pro install bath tile while I installed laundry tile. on same day, he mixed a batch of one color for bath and different color for laundry. we both grouted at same time. the laundry color came out exactly same as the color chart. the bath that he did was way off in color. he later mixed another batch of bath grout to do the shower and it came out exactly as first bath-color not even close to color chart. this was from different bag. I don't know his technique for mixing other than he used my morter mixer with a drill. now I had to do the shower threshold so mixed up some of leftover of the last bag he used in shower. I used the morter mixer with drill. followed instructions which included the slake period of 10 minutes, then remixed. I think I was on dry side. I grouted and the color was exactly same as before-didn't match color chart. but the leftover that I threw away dried a totally different color and actually matched the color chart. so doesn't seem like technique since every time the grout was placed between tile it came out same color but the leftover came out totally different color. the bath tile is porcelain and does NOT absorb water. some of the shower tile (floor and some decorative tile) may be ceramic. grout in all locations came out same color.

as far as grouting my 1/8" joint, it seems as if 1/8" is cutoff and can go either way according to labels. so what are benefits to each way? this is the face of fireplace (vertical surface) in master bedroom.

Old 02-01-12, 06:31 PM
The un-used grout you threw out was darker because it was not wiped. Over wetting and wiping too much will pull out pigments changing the color. The type of tile, how mixed and even air temp and conditions such as wind and humidity effect grout color.

Jaz

Old 02-01-12, 07:53 PM
Jaz

after researching and speaking with a local guy who has been in trade 35 years, I do think that i probably overwiped and the sponge was too wet. there was area where I couldn't get the float in I used my finger and didn't really use sponge. those areas are a lot darker. interestingly though, the grout I put in laundry room dried to match the color sample. I am sure I used the same technique? and the pro that did the bath originally, did he also wipe too much?? no big deal though cause wife actually likes it lighter. but when doing fireplace, we want to have a better idea of what it will come out like. would rather not be surprised. luckily, I think the color we chose, whether comes out light or dark, should be oK with the tile we have.