Concrete board over adhesive

Old 01-25-12, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete board over adhesive

Hello all,
This is sort of a side topic to others I have seen posted. I know it is not a good idea to lay concrete board over existing linoleum/vinyl. I pulled the linoleum/vinyl off and was left with the paper and adhesive which is not coming off at all. Scrapping/water all that fun stuff is not working. The house was built in 1982 so the adhesive has been there a while. It looks like the entire floor was glued down...not just the corners/edges. Under the linoleum/vinyl is 5/8th inch plywood and then what looks to be another 1/2 of subfloor.

Because I got the linoleum/vinyl itself up, is it okay to lay the concrete board (screwed and thinset) over the paper and adhesive?

Thanks
Todd

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-12, 06:20 PM
Todd, you should be fine. The thinset is basically to fill in any voids under the CBU. If you had 1/4 inch luan under the lino, then you should have sawed that out, took out the lino plus the luan in one shot. Being you have 5/8ths then 1/2 thats enough strength

Old 01-26-12, 05:14 AM
Thanks Tile Guy.

I played around with the adhesive again last night and have no idea what they used. Almost like they laid the lino down with a decent layer of thinset. As long as there is no wories about flex, I'm just going to tile right over the old paper/adhesive.

Todd