Soft Ceramic Backing

Old 02-07-12, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Soft Ceramic Backing

When we buy these 1Ft SQ ceramic tiles which they consist of 1x1 smaller pieces glued into a backing material, what is this backing material and what glue is used?

I will be renovating my master bath soon and would like to make a design with small ceramic pieces which I will cut myself and I think it would be great to glue them first into such a material to preserve the layout

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-12, 01:36 PM
The tiles you refer to are mosaics and are installed with thinset, same as any other tile. To create designs, using different tiles, colors, shapes, and so on, you'll need to cut the mesh they come attached to and separate the various pieces. Normally, they are not fastened to another mesh in order to produce the desired results but installed as you go. Create the design you want on some other floor area near where you will be working and then just transfer it, a piece at a time, to the work area and install it as you go. Pay close attention to your layout and make sure the two areas are exact duplicates so the desired end result actually IS the desired end result.

Old 02-12-12, 02:24 PM
Thank you Smokey,

Thats one way of doing it but if I wanted to attach my design first to that mesh the mosaics come with, what is this mosaic material? Where do you buy it from? And what glue they use?

Old 02-12-12, 03:56 PM
Unfortunately, I have no idea. I've never tried to do what you propose. You'll probably have to wait for someone more knowledgeable on the subject to respond, which they will do. They're probably enjoying their weekend, unlike you and I, and paying no attention to this site.

Old 02-12-12, 07:06 PM
well, they use about anything from low grade silicone, paper, fiberglass mesh, perforated paper and plastic. In the old days (still see some of it around) they used a semi permeable paper with a water disolving glue put on the face of the tile. After the tile was set, you run a sponge across it to loosen the glue, then peeled the paper off. This provided a 100% bond to the cement substrate, made aligning the tile difficult. Now they use the silicone, just a dab between the tile on the backside, so it doesn't interfere with the grout. A lot of mesh like material is used now, strands of fiberglass (woven crossways) but still allowing the thinset to transfer. a permanent glue is used thats compatable with thinset. Hope this gave you some ideas

Old 02-12-12, 07:09 PM
Thank you tile guy, that's what I was looking for, fiberglass mesh will be fine

Much appreciated