To seal or not seal grout

Old 01-14-01, 10:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have just had an new tile floor, and Kitchen counter top installed. The tile contractor told me not to seal the greyish white grout. He said it will be easier to clean, and if it gets dirty bleach will clean it. He said if we seal it that you can never clean it.

The tile has been installed for about 2 weeks now. My dog urinated on the floor and stained the grout. I splilled coffee on the counter top and stained the grout.

It rained very hard and water came down the fire place and stained the grout.

If the grout would have been sealed would it not stain as easily.

Also if the grout should be sealed is it too late to stain the grout now???

Is my contractor correct or is he mistaken??

Please help as I have no experience with tile and grout installation and would like the correct advise.

He also said that new grouts have some sealant mixed in the grout already. Is this correct? Does this type of grout not need sealant??

Old 01-15-01, 03:44 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Jeff,

Your contractor is right about one thing. The grouts we use now contain polymers. The grout is a bit more elastic (not that you would notice), and as a secondary feature, it is somewhat water-resistant.

But sealers do help with stains, and if you have a light grout, you should seal it. No sealer will prevent the grout from becomming dirty, however. Go to my tile and marble page and you will find a couple of items that will interest you.

http://www.johnbridge.com/serv02.htm

John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: