Re-caulking

Old 03-06-12, 08:09 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re-caulking

Hello, some of the sanded siliconized acrylic (c-cure 986) caulk in my show started to pull away from the tile. I cut out the old caulk by scoring the top and bottom of it, but there is still some caulk left in the crack between the tile and shower seat it was filling. Do i need to try and get all of this caulk out before reapplying new caulk? The crack is probably 1/8" or less.
Thanks

Old 03-06-12, 09:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As long as you still have plenty of surface for the new caulk to adhere to - it's fine, otherwise it needs to go.

Old 03-06-12, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I just had to redo a bunch of that, and I agree w/Mark, I wouldn't worry about getting every speck out. The way I like to do it is to mask each side of the joint so that you will have it masked 1/4" away from the corner on each side. Then caulk, being sure to push the caulk into the joint. Then come back and tool it down tight with your wet sponge (I prefer my finger since it's curved I can control how much I remove better) until it's smooth, then immediately remove the tape from both sides. If it leaves a ridge along the edge of the tape then you didn't wipe it down tight enough.

Not sure how tile guys do it but doing it this way results in a perfectly nice straight line, provided you masked it off in a straight line!

Old 03-06-12, 10:42 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The problem is getting it out of the joint, I was able to scrape it off the tile and the bench top. Just not sure if i need to bother getting what is stuck in the joint out of the joint.
Thanks

Old 03-06-12, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I wouldn't bother... if your gap is 1/8" you will be applying it wider on each side, so what's in the joint now is just a backer. You'll probably have less problems with shrinkage if you don't dig it out. A tile guy might have a different opinion, but that's been my experience with the stuff. Also don't wet it too much cuz IMO that just weakens the bond.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: