Ceramic Tile subfloor requirements

Old 03-10-12, 06:43 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Ceramic Tile subfloor requirements

Hey all,

I have a question on subfloor requirements for putting down ceramic tile. We are remodeling our laundry room and I have ripped out the existing laminate floor and plywood layer down to the subfloor. The subfloor is 23/32" OSB supported by 2" x 10" floor joists spaced CTC at 16". The house is 19 years old if that tells you anything.

We would like to put down ceramic tile. I have been reading online regarding joist spacing requirements of a minimum of 16" (good there), but I have also read where OSB is not a good subfloor to support ceramic tile. Any thoughts?

I was looking at putting down cement board but then started reading about Schluter Ditra as a better option. I will have to match to the height of the existing laminate in the hallway and kitchen which I need to measure (doh!)

At this time I am not sure of how big of tiles we are going to use.

Any recommendations on how to proceed?

Thanks,

FG12351

Old 03-10-12, 01:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You should be fine with the spacing, joisting and the OSB. Most likely it is a product like advantech, which is subflooring material. If you find your rise across the threshold is too great in the hallway, you can always revert back to using 1/4" CBU, then tile. Ditra is a good product, but a little pricey, IMO.

Old 03-10-12, 06:47 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Assuming your laundry room isn't too large, Ditra would be good to use, but cement board will work just fine for 16" joist spacing. I believe Ditra comes in 3/16" thick rolls whereas the thinnest cement board I know of is 1/4", so Ditra would give you a slightly lower floor. Look online for someone selling it by the linear foot.

Old 03-11-12, 07:06 AM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Any concerns with the subfloor being OSB and not plywood? I read somewhere where it it's not built for the load of tile.

Old 03-11-12, 05:00 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I don't know of an underlayment grade OSB that is not stiffer than the common plywood subfloor. Both of course are t&g to qualify as "subfloor" grade. Your OSB should be just fine if installed right and in good condition.

mossman
Assuming your laundry room isn't too large, Ditra would be good to use,

So, Ditra is a smart move for small areas but not if it's a large room? Why is that?

Ditra is 1/8" thick installed. Ditra XL is 5/16" thick. The thinnest CBU is 1/4" plus a bit for the thin set under it.

Jaz

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: