Easy way to remove cement board?

Old 04-11-12, 09:21 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Easy way to remove cement board?

If I were to put down cement board over a plywood subfloor using the recommended thinset, is there ever a way to get it back up without removing the subfloor?

Reason being, if I ever wanted to re-tile the area again, it's tile/thinset/cementboard/thinset/wood-subfloor, so the subfloor would be a pain to get back down to. No thinset between the cement board and subfloor is not recommend (all major manufactures require it for proper stability), but has anyone taken up cement board (hardi, durarock etc) adhered with screws+mortar to a wood subfloor? Or does the whole subfloor need to be cut out and a new one put in if you ever re-tiled?

Old 04-12-12, 07:01 AM
Why do you feel it would be necessary to remove all the way to the subfloor? With the right tools you should be able to remove just the tile and its thinset without destroying the backer board if/when the time comes.

Old 04-12-12, 09:22 AM
S
interesting, I was under the assumption that a porcelain tile adhered to hardi/cement board with a modified thinset would create a pretty decent bond. Removing the tile + modified thinset cleanly enough off the hardi to install new tile over it would be difficult, but if it's not... awesome

Old 04-12-12, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I would imagine removing the backer would be almost impossible, since it would have thinset under it and the screw heads would probably be filled with thinset as well.

I'd think a wide blade on a rotary hammer would remove the tile and associated thinset easily...with maybe just a bit of grinding to remove any high spots afterwards.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: