Transition options for uneven doorway threshold?

Old 04-20-12, 07:05 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Transition options for uneven doorway threshold?

Hi everyone. This is my first post, and an important one if I'm to move forward on tiling my bathroom floor with confidence.

I am in the middle of a total bathroom remodel. It is a very small bathroom (more like a closet) in a very old house. Most of the floors are hardwood and extremely slanted towards the center of the house. I have already removed the vinyl flooring as well as the plywood subfloor from the bathroom, and I was planning on belt sanding the studs to create a nice new level for the floors. The problem is that the slant of the floor is SO extreme (about an inch and a half drop over four feet) that changing the level of the bathroom floor will create a real problem for the doorway transition to the hardwood floor in my bedroom. The threshold is 28" wide and the slope of the floor is approximately 5/8" from left to right. If I level the bathroom floor so that it starts level with one side of the doorway and rises 5/8" at the other side, what kind of transition do I need to hide that discrepancy? I know there are wood transitions you can buy to cover transitions up to 3/4", but this will leave a noticeable gap on one side? Do I need to make a custom transition piece, and how does that work?

I assume other people have run into this problem and maybe I'm missing something obvious, but any info you guys can provide would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks a lot for your time and consideration.

Cheers.

*Also, I'm open to the idea of making the new tile floor somewhat less than level to lessen the discrepancy, but I'm not sure what kind of implications a slightly slanted floor has on a bathroom ...

Old 04-21-12, 05:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I believe we would be remiss if we didn't suggest fixing the initial problem before tackling tiling. The slant is untenable. The slant you describe will affect your toilet seating, etc. Before addressing the bathroom, go under the house and determine the cause of the slanting. It is possible the central post and beams are faulty. It could be a simple matter of doing replacement and rejacking of the beams to level the house back up, making your playing field level so you won't have to "make do". Then you can tackle the tile job.

Old 04-22-12, 10:39 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice Chandler. I've looked at the giant wooden posts and beams supporting the house, and yes, they are in pretty rough shape as they are almost one hundred years old. I'm planning on reinforcing them to stop any further sloping. But as we've already put a lot of work into the plaster walls and my bathroom is already completely torn out, I have to focus on how to finish this room as is. I'm looking at creating a level surface in the bathroom to ensure a good toilet seating and minimize water pooling. But again, this will create a problem at the doorway as the floor will start about 1/2" low on the right side and 3/8" high on the left. Has anyone had any experience with installing a good transition in this situation?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: