cement based vs epoxy grouts and sealing

Old 04-27-12, 12:11 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question cement based vs epoxy grouts and sealing

I was looking at the Laticrete 1500 sanded grout, and adding the 1776 grout enhancer additive. If I were to go this route, does anyone have a good recommendation for a grout sealer (using porcelain tiles, but shouldn't make a difference as they don't need to be sealed)? I am assuming it would be applied with the rolling wheel applicator and just wiped off after a few minutes.

I also saw the Laticrete epoxy based grout, which is probably about 3-4x's as expensive, but if it doesn't need sealing and performs better, it might be worth it. If sealing the cement-based grout (and using the additive) will have similar performance/durability (for a 1/2 bath and entry way) the extra elbow grease of sealing it isn't a huge deal (~90sqft).

Thanks again

Old 04-27-12, 02:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 840 Posts
I used epoxy grout on my front porch. It was very expensive but after 10 years exposed to the elements it still looks like new. Inside the house I used traditional grouts with various brands of sealers and every one is inferior to the epoxy. To do over again I would use traditional grout with a sealer in interior dry locations but for a bathroom and especially a shower I would use epoxy.

Old 04-27-12, 07:14 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
this is for a half bath / laundry room / entry way. no shower in here, but certainly chance for some moisture (especially in the entry way/mud room area... winter, snow melts, boom puddles).

I'll try to find this Laticrete epoxy grout in sizes bigger than they have at Lowes, for 90sqft, I'd need about 5 "kits", seems like tile stores have the same stuff in contractor sizes (but then I have twice as much as I need, and it costs $180 )

I already have the sanded matching caulk for wall edges and transitions for the Laticrete, so hopefully I can find the epoxy version without purchasing a bunch of smaller kits.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: