Toilet flange above tile

Old 04-29-12, 12:34 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet flange above tile

Re-tiling a bathroom, and the flange is above 1/4" above the tile, attached to PVC pipe. I can push down slightly on the pipe and get the flange resting on the tile, or push down hard and have it resting on the hardi.

The orange part sort of 'snaps' into the PVC part, if I push down on it enough the flange will go loose around the pipe, then I can mount it anywhere, but the pipe is then floating separate from the flange. What is the best practice here?

Push pipe+flange down 1/4" so the flange rests on top of tile, or pop the flange off the pipe again so it's loose and below the top of the pipe, resting on the hardi (then it should be flush with the tile. (or take the entire thing off somehow and attach a new flange to the PVC pipe?)

Old 04-29-12, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
It looks fine. Just after you set the tile make sure your anchor the flange don't at 4 points.

Use a masonry bit and long galvanized wood screws.

I usually mount the flange to the floor first then install the tile. I use 1/2" copper pipe as spacers to lift the flange then screw it down. The copper spacers are cut so the flange will be at tile height.

The screws will pull the flange down.

Also you don't want to un-clip that orange ring as you describe.

Mike NJ

Old 04-29-12, 02:48 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just made an extra notch in the hardi where there was a little square jut-out on the PVC flange to let it drop down into the floor a bit more (didn't see this bit before). With tile and thinset under there, there might be a 1/8-1/4" gap, which I can easily close by pushing it down and screwing it into place.

The PVC pipe pops up over the orange part if you push down too much, so if I screw down the metal flange, the pipe might 'pop' up (it hasn't yet when I only push it down 1/4", so might be good here). I assume once the toilet is over it, this won't be a problem, so maybe I'll hang something on the pipe in the basement to weight it down with a couple pounds so it doesn't pop-up above the metal ring before the toilet is installed.

3/4" subfloor, 3/4" of tile/hardi/thinset, so 2" wood screws will give it all the bite it can get. Thanks for the response!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: