Dividing bag of thinset

Old 05-24-12, 09:19 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dividing bag of thinset

I am installing mosaic tile backsplash for the first time. Since I know I'll be slow and I have 3 sections of wall to do, I want to know the best way to divide/calculate the thinset I bought so I don't mix up more than I can use at one time. Bag instructions only show mixing up the whole bag. Any ratio suggestions i.e 3 cups thinset to ?? oz of water?

Old 05-24-12, 09:28 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
I've been accused of being overly, well, anal in my day but I would figure out how much volume of thinset is in the bag and then measure out the percentage of it you want to mix up at a time with the same percentage applied to the water.

Old 05-24-12, 09:39 AM
J
I have googled for volume (cups, quarts) of 50 lb bag of thinset but to no avail. Hate to have to dumo it out just to measure it. You'd think this would be something someone has already figured out! If I have to do it, I'll be sure to post it.

Old 05-24-12, 09:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
I think you're making it more complicated than it is. If you mix up a 1/4 bag, use 1/4 the amount of water. I usually just eye ball it, the mixture doesn't have to be exact - just as long as it isn't too thin/thick.

Old 05-24-12, 09:43 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Yeah, I'd be dumping it into containers to measure it but I may have issues....

Old 05-24-12, 10:02 AM
J
I'm not great at eyeball measurements... when I divided a bag of grout, I weighed it and still made way too much..Guess I'll just dive in when I know I'll have a couple of uninterrupted hours to work on this.

Old 05-24-12, 03:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I didn't know thinset came with directions Mixing up too much is far better than mixing 3 ounces too little and not setting the last tile because of it.

Old 05-24-12, 03:23 PM
J
here's what I found

I measured out 2 cups of thinset (type for glass mosaic tiles) and it weighed 2 lbs exactly. Therefore I knew I had 1/5 of a bag (bag was 10 lbs). Directions specified 1.5 to 1.7 quarts of water per bag. Did the math and went to town.
Now to work on my technique... it looks so easy on tv.

Old 09-04-12, 02:54 PM
R
Custom Blend

I am using CustomBlend thinset to install ceramic tiles on cement board. I mixed it at a ratio of 4 cups of water to 10 cups of thinset. It seemed to setup well.

Last edited by stickshift; 09-06-12 at 11:41 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary comments
Old 09-04-12, 04:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
Larry wasn't being a smart a$$ when he said it's better to mix a little extra than not enough! It's no fun to be ready to finish but find out you didn't mix enough and it's easier to mix a 1/4 bucket or more than it is to just mix up a few cups worth. Mixing thinset isn't rocket science and doesn't have to be mixed to exact proportions. If you eyeball a portion of a bag and it's too thin - add a little more thinset, if it's too stiff - add a little water. Professionals don't worry with exact proportions and while they might have a better eye due to experience, it is something that a diyer can learn in short order.

almost forgot welcome to the forums Randy!

Old 09-04-12, 04:16 PM
Randy1953, welcome to the forums! The mix ratio was not the contention, it was the overall amount. If you mix too little, your job will be compromised. If you mix too much, the job is done and you have a little waste. I won't comment on your rhetoric at this point. We are professionals. DIY'ers look to us for help. We give it. If you don't want it, that's OK. Have a nice day.

Thanks, Marksr!

Old 09-06-12, 11:34 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Hey Randy

I know this is not what you asked but that thinset is the cheapest junk you can buy. Its like dirt in a bag. Do yourself a favor and buy a higher end product. You wont be sorry you did.

Old 07-13-14, 05:39 PM
I
Or you can use this converter

I found out that 7 lbs. of mortar converts to 6.21 U.S. cups, which would require around 3.44 cups of water. I will be testing this tomorrow, will update with results!

Old 07-13-14, 05:43 PM
Welcome to the forums! How would you measure 6.21 cups and 3.44 cups accurately in the field? Again, it wasn't the original poster's question as to how to mix it, but whether to mix too much or try to hit it dead on. Thinset isn't rocket science.

Old 07-14-14, 03:19 PM
I
Well, using a measuring cup I mixed approximately 6 and a quarter cups of thinset and between 3 and a third and 3 and a half cups water. Worked beautifully. My calculations came from square footage needed to cover being one seventh of the 50 lb. bag, and since I have no scale, I used the handy converter to approximate cups. It is worth noting that I've never used thinset in my life and had no experience whatsoever with this, so had to start somewhere. So good to find forums like this to make DIY possible! I now have a re-tiled fireplace hearth

Old 07-14-14, 04:16 PM
A
I use a clean gas station 52oz cup 3x full of thinset 1x water almost perfect everytime. If you have a quiktrip near you they have good quality plastic ones.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: