Kitchen Tile Cracked! Please Help.

Old 07-08-12, 02:37 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Tile Cracked! Please Help.

Hi,
My wife dropped a heavy stockpot on one of our 24x24 Polished Poreclean Tile that ended in a painful crack. A lot of small chips came off, leaving a long crack and dent in tile. Problem is, this particular tile runs underneath our stove island cabinetry.

My question is, is there a way to seal it, or fix it in any way? Already tried grouting. It came off. I live in an rural town where it is hard to find skilled professional help. I do have spare tiles, and I understand replacing is the best option, but it goes underneath the cabinet, so thats where it gets tricky.

Greatly appreciate any assistance. Thanks,

See attached pictures.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-12, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 201 Votes on 179 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Remove just the shoe molding, cut the tile at the cabinet and then just the new tile so it will fit in the space. Make sure any cuts will end up under the shoe molding. Reinstall molding.

Buy wife silicone grippy pot holders.

Old 07-09-12, 01:10 PM
A
Thank you for the prompt response. That makes a lot of sense.

I am sorry, but I have no technical skills. But I am willing to try, and that is why I am on this forum. I would like guidance on 1) How to cut existing tile without using expensive tools and 2) How to remove and replace tile.

Any links, videos would suffice. Thanks again.

Old 07-09-12, 01:15 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
1 Grinder, multi-tool,.... Maybe check with your neighbors to see what they have.
2 Break up the tile and pull out the pieces and the thinset underneath used to bind the tile to the floor. Then mix up some new thinset and apply with a trowel with a little backbutter on the tile and set it into place. You'll have to work a little carefully to make sure it's level with the rest of the tiles but you'll be able to see if you centered it in the spot correctly by eye. Then you'll have to mix up some grout and grout the joint line.

Old 07-09-12, 01:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Most big box stores will cut tile for a fee

Old 07-09-12, 01:52 PM
A
I can tell by the way it broke, that the thinset has lost its bond. If you tap on it, you'll probably hear a hollow sound (easy to remove) before doing anything, the grout surrounding the tile needs sawed out, or the tile next to it will chip while removing the tile. You can saw or cut thru the grout with a $7 grout saw or use a razor knife, even old hack saw blade. If there's a local handyman, he could do the job cheaper than your frustration and material cost

Old 07-09-12, 02:20 PM
A
From what I gather, its going to be a rather complicated job. More so because it involves cutting the tile, and being careful about not damaging adjacent tiles. I am not making it any easy either. We insisted on having a minimum grout line just for looks, but its back firing now. Besides, it goes under the cabinet and not straightforward tile swap.
I will look for a handyman, and propose the thoughts that were suggested here.

Thanks.

Old 07-09-12, 02:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Eek!

Thanks, tile guy - I totally forgot about cutting the grout line.

Old 07-21-12, 11:49 PM
L
sometimes a Minimum grout line can hurt, in this case, it looks like that thin line doesent have much grout in it.... and /or hard to get the grout in that thin line... a true maximum grout line these days are great as you can get those markers and keep them in top notch shape and even change the colors on them ! i have a couple tiles in this Banging my head against the wall NEW HOUSE that get that Echo / hollow sounds when i tap on them.. so ill be doing what your doing pretty darn soon ! good luck friend...