Ceramic tile over.....?

Old 07-30-12, 02:51 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic tile over.....?

Multipart question -

1. My current kitchen floor is Nafco 12 inch vinyl tile installed over an existing linoleum floor, which in turn is installed on concrete. The Nafco is starting to come up (right on time, 20 years after installation). I'm thinking about installing quarry tile. I figure I'll have to take up all the Nafco tile using a heat gun, etc etc. Do I need to remove the linoleum as well?

2. The entryway and hallway leading to the kitchen has quarry tile currently installed, which is cracking along the grout joints. Would it be better to take up that tile as well and retile the whole shooting match in the same tile, or am I getting into too many issues with dissimilar surfaces, etc? I don't know if there is linoleum under the existing quarry tile or if it's laid directly on the concrete slab.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-12, 05:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Short answers.
1) Yes
2) Yes. Do that area just like you are doing the kitchen floor. Pristine installation.

Old 07-31-12, 05:33 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I agree with Chandler - if you're seeing cracks in the existing tile job, something was wrong with that installation and you should start over.