wall tile question with bathroom redo

Old 08-01-12, 11:56 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wall tile question with bathroom redo

hi! we're renovating an upstairs bath. we've purchased 3 x 6 white subway ceramic wall tile to go in the tub/shower surround. we also purchased bullnose edge pieces for trim. However, after hanging the new drywall, it turns out the green board is sitting flush with the rest of the sheetrock in the room. so here's my problem, the bullnose trim is obviously built with the intent to hide a difference in depth (there is a lip that corners the tile edge) I'm not really a fan of just leaving an edge of unfinished subway tile as the transition piece. what other options might i have? trying to keep things cost effective as well! thanks!

Old 08-01-12, 01:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! First, take it all down. You don't install tile in a wet area over sheetrock, even greenboard. You need to use a concrete backer underlayment or Ditra. But to your question, you bought overlap bullnose, and you really need relieved bullnose on the same plane as the tile. Without the overlap.

Old 08-01-12, 02:01 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Before I answer your question, you should know that drywall and greenboard should not be used in a tub or shower surround. You need to use cement board or another acceptable product approved for surrounds.

It sounds like you don't have bullnose tile. Instead it sounds like you are describing mudcaps that would be used to cover the extra thickness of a mud wall. Go back to the store where you bought your tile and get bullnose tile. The bullnose will be flat with a finished profiled edge.

Old 08-01-12, 02:04 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Larry

Ditra is for floors, however he could use kerdi over drywall.

Going nuts waiting for 180 seconds to pass so I can post.

Old 08-03-12, 11:52 AM
B
ugh...ok, seems like back to work for us. now, if i like the idea of using the mudcaps (i like the look of the shower tile area being a little raised) how could I go about finishing it that way if i'm starting from scratch with studs (and apparently cement board). i've read that you shouldn't double up on boards in tub/shower area as it can be a place for moisture to hide, is this true? or can i just put a layer of cement board on the green board we already have up? also, i'm not planning on running the tile all the way up to the ceiling. how do i deal with the transition between the raised cement board and neighboring sheetrock in terms of mudding/taping once i get it there? i assume after doing more research that we need to use the mesh instead of paper tape in the wet areas....

Old 08-05-12, 01:10 PM
S
In my experience greenboard and latex-type mastics will last for a very long time and are much more DIY friendly and cheaper. The key factor is maintenance of your tile and grout. Seal fresh grout with a high quality sealer like The Impregnator and caulk between tile edges and painted wall. Caulk tile inside corners and where tile meets tub rim. Clean and re-seal grout yearly.

Old 08-06-12, 03:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Thanks, Johnny. I had the picture in my mind, just used the wrong word.
Senor-mouse, using any form of sheetrock, including over rated greenboard behind a wet wall tile job will be inviting inevitable disaster. Water will find it's way behind the tile, no matter what you do to try and stop it. Green board is water "resistant", not water proof and will deteriorate with prolonged water exposure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: