Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Can I replace bathroom floor tile without removing tile from wall?

Old 08-02-12, 07:39 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We tiled our bathroom about 5 years ago and, to cut time and costs, we left the existing floor and used tile-paint to color it white. Unfortunately, it looks awful. Not only does it look junky, it chipped everywhere so, it looks filthy. We are planning to sell the house soon so, I have to do something to fix it. Ultimately, I would like to rip out the floor as well as the 2nd layer of tiles the previous owner tiled over. The two layers make the floor too high and uneven. My question is: Is it possible to acomplish this without completely destroying the tile on the wall and tub (jetted tub). I realize I will be dropping the floor height so is there something that can be added to extend the baseboard tiles?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-12, 07:03 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yes,you can rip this all out and start over - I would bet you're wishing you had done that instead of painting.

I would think a small (like 1") tile could be added under your current baseboard tiles to account for the difference in height.

Old 08-03-12, 10:28 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I was thinking the same thing about the 1" tile. And, yes, if I had a rewind button I would NEVER have left that ugly floor in place. We were living with my parents while we renovated our house. I think that has a lot to do with the poor choices we made.