Rotten Egg Odor - Thinset

Old 08-08-12, 09:51 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Rotten Egg Odor - Thinset

I recently tiled a newly remodeled shower in my home and ever since there has been a rotten egg/sulfur smell coming from the bathroom. I initially thought it may have been coming from the toilet, but it is not. It is definitely coming from the tile. I used a fortified thinset mortar specifically for porcelain tile made by Custom Building Products. I've heard others experiencing the same problem but with grout, not thinset (I haven't grouted yet). Some have had luck with bleach and/or hydrogen peroxide, neither of which I have tried yet.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-12, 01:02 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't use Customs building products (had a few failures with them, and a few other reasons), but i have smelt the rotten egg odor from cutting certain slate and marble tile. I do smell the laytex additives in the modified products, but over the years from working with cements i kinda ignore the odors from them. I f i'm not misstaken the odor comes from sulfur, and like many cement products, they are farmed out to local manufacturers, using local products, made to the specs of the parent company. Might be worth a call to the factory or local rep.