Peel-and-stick over lino cardboard on concrete...

Old 08-08-12, 12:27 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Peel-and-stick over lino cardboard on concrete...

I've got a basement bathroom that had water damage (due to leaking toilet valve) under the lino. I tore up everything, and most of the cardboard backing stuck to the cement foundation. Things are "relatively" level - it was previously leveled when the prior owner put in the lino originally.

I'm wondering if I should aggressively tear up the stuck backing, or if i could apply an adhesive primer to the backing and place the tile directly on top...? Would additional adhesive, like a spray or paint-on even, be appropriate?

Thanks,
-R

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-12, 12:36 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You do need smooth for vinyl, it will show imperfections in the floor through it.

Personally, I have seen issues with the peel and stick vinyl, I would get the thickest ones you can and use an extra adhesive.

Have you thought about ceramic tiles instead?

Old 08-08-12, 01:00 PM
B
The tile is "luxury" type, so it's pretty thick actually - plus is textured on the top, so you can't really see any fluctuations under it.

I used the same type of tile in an upstairs bathroom, which the lino peeled off entirely from the cardboard backing - it left a perfect surface to attach the tiles to. In this basement though, the backing is spotty due to the water issues that occurred over-time. The leak existed for a long time from what I can tell unfortunately.

My concern is mostly with whether the tiles will stick to this sketchy backing without help... I think I'm convincing myself that I should just go heavy with the additional adhesive and glue them suckers down. =)

It's approximately 75sq/ft (50 for bathroom, 25 for entryway) so it's really not too large.

-R

Old 08-08-12, 01:06 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I know I'm paranoid but I'd use the additional adhesive.

I agree, it does sound like the vinyl you picked is a better choice than many I've seen.

Old 08-08-12, 01:28 PM
B
I'll be honest, I kind of like it. It's run-of-the-mill stuff from Home Depot, but for about a buck-a-foot...takes some time around the edges to cut things right, but other than that it's pretty much identical to carpet-squares.

It's holding up great in my upstairs bathroom that gets daily use. We just threw it in there because the floor that was in there was absoluetely horrible...and wanted to make it at least bearable to use that bathroom. It looks really good actually, much better than I thought it would. With that experience we decided to just go ahead and do the same thing in the basement - but in the basement it didn't come up as "nicely" as the upstairs did.

-R

Old 08-09-12, 09:28 AM
B
Here's an update.

I used some acrylic latex primer on top of the "leftovers" from the linoleum backing - by "some" I mean it was applied liberally.

I let it set for about 12 hours (supposed to only need 30-90 minutes) and retried a tile that I had pulled up way too easily before. It stuck, really well...I struggled to even pull it back up. Applied a number of additional tiles, filling the center area of the floor - I'll get to the edging tonight. All appears to stick really well so far. I used the same primer on a different room where I put down some cheapie carpet squares until I redo the entire room w/ soundproofing/etc.

Thanks,
-R