Carpet transition to tile and baseboards

Old 08-20-12, 09:07 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Carpet transition to tile and baseboards

I have some areas where the tile will transition from carpet to tile and if I put the baseboards above the tile it will mess up the elevation of the baseboards above the carpet causing a height mismatch. The baseboards are flat and over 3" high so plenty tall for the tiles to sit next to them. Is it ok to tile up close to the baseboards and then caulk the perimeter against the baseboards and finish with quarter round or bullnose? Thats what I tore up anyway when I removed the old vinyl and particle board. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-12, 10:14 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I have this in my house and a transition piece was used in the baseboard to accommodate the height change.

Old 08-21-12, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You could also notch your base so that it fits over the tile. I don't have any pictures of mine, but imagine the top of the base trim is the same height all around the room, and the bottom is cut so that it allows for the tile to fit into it. The transition piece that covers the edge where the tile and carpet meet will hide the end of the cut. Of course, you'll probably need a table saw to do it right, unless you also use shoe molding and then you could maybe make the cut another way. The shoe will hide the uneven cut.