Replacing cracked tile

Old 08-26-12, 08:38 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing cracked tile

We hare buying a new house and the down stairs is all tile. In several places there are a few 3 or 4 foot long cracks and in many places there are hairline cracks in the tile. Our home inspector mesaured less than a 0.7 inch elevation change from one end of the house to the other in multiple directions, so he said that there was no indication of foundation shifting, but there had been some settling since it was built 14 years ago.

We are planning on replacing all the tile before moving in, but I want to make sure we ask the right questions and understand what the best solution is before we hire a contractor.

I have heard that you can use a felt or plastic membrane to allow the tile to float on the concrete. Are these good solutions to avoid cracking in the future? Does the tile sound "hollow" when installed with a membrane or felt underlay? Is there a better solution?

Any help would be appreciated.

steve.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-12, 11:40 AM
A
You can use a membrane under the tile as long as the movement is sideways and not a up and down movement. The membrane will isolate the crack..up to 1/8th inch (depending), not sound hollow. you might have a difference in hieght from the membrane, so additional tile removal might be needed to adjust. Is the crack caused by a expansion joint..running in a straight line? scattered instances?

Old 08-27-12, 02:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Wrong thread.............................

Old 08-27-12, 03:58 PM
S
We are going to replace all the tile in the affected rooms. The cracks appear to be random in nature and don't follow any perpendicular lines, so I don't believe they are from expansion joints. Much of the tile is has fine hairline cracks.

Any preferred membrane solutions such as felt, plastic or paint on rubberized material I should ask for?

Old 08-29-12, 04:14 PM
I
This is concrete foundation? Below grade Or above?

Old 08-29-12, 04:38 PM
S
It's an above grade concrete foundation. it's about 6' above grade.

Old 08-29-12, 07:37 PM
I
Are you planing to tile over the existing?
They could be cracking due to age maybe, sounds as if you have plenty of slab not to have issues.
Take it up and inspect it go from there.

Old 09-01-12, 08:16 PM
S
So we have had several contractors out to work up quotes. One of the contractors we are seriously considering has suggested tiling over the existing tile with the travertine my wife wants. He suggested a 3 foot wide membrane over the cracks only, bonding to the existing tile beoyond 18inches on each side of the cracks. The area we are re-doing is about 1000 sq ft. He also suggested bevelling the edge of the travertine to transition to the existing tile at two doorways. I'm not sure how that will look.

Also he said he would not remove the baseboard, tiling right up to it. Is that OK? I thought you had to go under the baseboard to allow for expansion without affecting the walls, but perhaps that is only an issue with wood.

Any thoughts? Does this contractor sound like he is taking the right approach? I really need to make sure this is going to work out, because we are going to speend $$$$ on this.

Thanks for any advise.

Steve.

Old 09-01-12, 09:56 PM
A
I suppose you could do it that way. I personally would not install new tile over cracked tile, I would remove and reinstall the base or use 1/4 round/shoe molding (tho i'm not a fan of that either) cutting to the base will always result in cracks at the joint (wood to tile, theres always movement). the problem I see, is that you never know whats cracking underneath the tile. The cracked tile could only have a 50% bond and still sound solid. Your new floor will only be as good as the surface under it. Plus, you probably won't get as good of a bond as going back over concrete, plus, as you mentioned, hieght issues. The quote you got is probably the least expensive. I work on commercial buildings, and in all the years, you can count on one hand where I went over existing tile. It's not hard to remove the existing tile, address the slab, use any number of isolation membranes approved for tile for addressing your particular situation.

Old 09-02-12, 06:26 PM
I
You would need to deglaze the prior tile in order for any mortar even utraflex to adhere too. Something to take in consideration.

Old 09-03-12, 09:23 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
No way I'd leave a cracked tile floor in place and go over it. Sure, lot's of work to take out the old first but it increases the chances the new one will work, IMO.

Old 09-03-12, 02:50 PM
S
I am really glad I posted here. I am going to keep looking for
contractors. I'll post again if I have any more questions.

Thanks!

Old 09-04-12, 01:42 PM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
No way should you tile over the existing cracked tile. You need to demo the existing tile and evaluate the slab. You need to find out why the original tile cracked before you install the new tile. Your best bet would be to remove the existing, take some pictures, evaluate any cracks in the slab, determine how flat the slab is, then come back here and tell us what you have.