levelling cement floor before tiling

Old 08-29-12, 04:49 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
levelling cement floor before tiling

I need to level and raise the floor height of a cement floor before tiling. I want to add about 1 inch at one end and 1 3/4 inches at the other. The area is 41" X 86". What material should I use?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-12, 05:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! If the area is all in one place, you can use Self Leveling Compound, which will, when poured out, find it's own level with a little help. What has caused the unlevel situation?

Old 08-29-12, 07:56 PM
B
I was thinking of using that but wasn't sure if I could pour that much on top of the cement. It is a recessed area at the entrance to the kitchen from outside. As to why it is unlevel I have no idea. It is an old house and everything is off level.

Old 08-30-12, 06:38 PM
A
thats too deep for self leveling compounds. I would use the sackrete sand/cement mix to go that deep, or mix your own using 4 parts mason sand to 1 part portland cement. Mix it up kind of dry, so that you can level it out easily. You'll have to bond it to the old concrete. You can do this by wetting the old concrete, then make a slurry of pure portland cement to bond it. You could also use thinset for tile and trowel it on for the bond coat.

Old 09-03-12, 01:55 PM
B
I was pretty sure that was too deep for that compound. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 09-04-12, 01:45 PM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Some slc's can be poured thicker than others, and you can always make more than one pour. That would be a really expensive way to go. Tile Guy has you on the right track, thats the way I would go as well. You can get the mud bed nice and flat and level and the deck mud costs fractions compared to the slc.