cutting an inside corner on installed tile

Old 09-01-12, 07:44 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cutting an inside corner on installed tile

Hi all,
I'm moving my kitchen counter out 6 inches to increase the depth of the countertop. I want to cut away the ceramic floor tile in front of the counter but won't be able to make it all the way to a grout line. One corner of the counter will fall dead in the middle of one of the tiles and needs an inside corner cut.

I just picked up a Ryobi hand held wet saw. It looks like a mini circular saw that squirts water. I plan on making the long cuts right on the floor with this. But I can't figure out the corner. A circular saw can't do an inside corner nicely-- even if you edge up to it, you end up with some over cut. Other than buying another power tool, is there a manual way to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-12, 04:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Use the Ryobi and cut in both directions to the intersection. Chip the piece out which will leave a booger in the corner. Use a cold chisel to break it clear and square. You will be putting down shoe molding anyway, so if it isn't exactly perfect, the shoe molding will hide it. Are your cabinets out, now, or are they still in place? Got pictures? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-02-12, 06:25 AM
W
If I understand correctly you want to cut an inside 90* on a tile that is in place. Your saw has a round blade that will leave some amount of tile left at the intersect and you want a way to remove the remaining tile.

I would probably try a diamond bit in a zip or Dremel tool. I'm assuming one side will be scrap so the difference in kerf width won't matter.

As Larry posted - a pic would help.

Old 09-02-12, 01:18 PM
J
Thanks for the replies. Next time I'll put in a picture. You both got the idea, though. I'm not a tile guy and always feel like tiles are so breakable, so I was afraid to take a cold chisel to the corner. I have a really old dremel type tool and will give it a whorl, as one of you suggested. I like a clean look, which to me means avoiding extra molding when possible. However, if I put a thin, square piece of wood as a toe kick board, it will cover the transition and still look "clean". Thanks to you both for the suggestions.