There is Carpet in my bathroom! - need some ideas for flooring

Old 09-24-12, 12:57 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is Carpet in my bathroom! - need some ideas for flooring

I just moved into a new home and they have this stained, plush carpet in the bathroom. I pulled up some of the carpet and as you can see, its a combination of wood, parts of sticky tile etc.

I am just getting started with learning how to do things around the house so I am looking for some ideas on a semi temporary solution until I am ready for a complete bathroom remodel.

I am thinking the best initial solution would be to use sticky tile and I understands some type of underlay is needed to make things level. I am looking for something that is affordable and can be cut with a knife to shape around the sink/toilet, as I do not yet have any big tools.

Can someone give me some guidance on how to prepare the floor for sticky Name:  floor.jpeg
Views: 1602
Size:  46.0 KBtile?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-12, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 113 Votes on 88 Posts
Someone will be along to answer your question, but in the meantime, I have to ask how long until you remodel? The reason I ask is because it's no fun trying to get those sticky tiles up. It's a huge elbow grease kind of job. Personally, I'd stay with the rug unless it'll be years til you remodel. Just my 2cents.

Old 09-24-12, 03:46 PM
W
The best floors for a bath are tile, vinyl sheet and wood. If none of those options are doable I would probably stick with the carpet - assuming the carpet is in good shape.

If you decide on vinyl squares you will need a smooth surface underneath. Any defects in the underlayment will probably transfer through the tiles. 1/4" luan plywood will provide a smooth surface.

Don't buy the bargain brand tiles. Buy the best quality you can afford. The good news is that the only tools you will need are a utility knife (lots of blades) and a straight edge.

Old 09-25-12, 12:56 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you are going to tile, you really should have an underlayment of concrete backerboard. 1/4" plywood will not only flex, but absorb water. Any movement of the underlayment wil cause damage to the tile job, as will swelling plywood.

Old 09-25-12, 01:09 PM
W
The luan I recommended is for a vinyl tile install not for ceramic.