LOOSE TILE ON NEW FLOOR

Old 01-25-01, 12:02 PM
kdolfan
Visiting Guest
Angry

I put down a new ceramic tile floor. During the grouting process (2nd day of misting) I noticed a loose tile. Unfortunately, it's in the center of the bathroom (OF COURSE!!!). It's a 6x12" tile and slightly loose on one end. I believe I'll have too replace it.

Please advise me on the proper way to attack this problem:

What tools, starting point on tile, protection for surrounding tiles, preparation of flooring after removal, re-grouting, etc.

Your expert advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Ken

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-01, 04:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi Ken,
get a grout removal tool (available at homecenters and tile suppliers) and take out all the grout from around the tile, get as close to the sub-floor as possible without maring the edges of the tile. Start in the center of the tile and chisel it out. (If you start at one of the edges and pry you may damage the one next to it) You will then have to remove the thinset from this area. Re-set the tile the same way you did in the first place. (Maybe add a little thinset on the end that was loose, it sounds like it did not have enough there in the original installation)(possible bend in subfloor)re-grout the same way as well, and you should have a perfect floor.

Regards,

Rich Gately (Tileman1)

http://www.gatelytilecompany.homestead.com