Please help-I feel like I am being lied to by tiling contractor

Old 10-03-12, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please help-I feel like I am being lied to by tiling contractor

We are in the process of having our bathroom remodeled. My husband is currently in Ft. Hood and so I've been sending him daily picture progress reports. The tiling in the shower is almost complete and he thinks they did it wrong and I agree. The tiling contractor asked if we wanted a staggered configuration which we did, but the pattern is extremely random. Any and every picture of a tiled shower online shows the grout lines lining up with each other every other row.The tile size is 8x20 and our shower is smallish (5'x3'). Is there any reason why he wouldn't have done a traditional staggered brick pattern? I am certainly not an expert, but I even would've lined up the "seams". When we expressed our concerns we were told this is how they do staggering, yet we cannot find a single example of a shower tiled like this online. I am attaching a picture if someone would be so kind to look at it and let me know what you think, if this is a standard tile layout, or if there is a reason why he chose to do it this way??? Do you think the way this is done is acceptable and we are being "picky"? Please help!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-12, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Thats random not staggard as far as what I think.

The part below the diverter looks ok, but above it stinks IMO. To look at those sections above the diverter with the grout line going progressivly to the right would annoy me.

Takw more pics of the back wall.

I would have him fix the diverter side to make it look better at a min, but doing what he did and try to make it look good is harder then if he just staggered the lines.

Another thing if its not what you want do it the way you want. But you may need to replace all the walls again. Not sure if the tile can be saved.

Seems like a costly mistake, and I do not think he put in a big effort.

What for others to respond.

Old 10-03-12, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
That looks like staggered as I would expect with siding joints on the outside of the house. Would it be called something else here? Not sure what the names actually mean, if anything.

Old 10-03-12, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
To span 36" with 20" tiles, he could have done a better stagger job, because he had 40" of tile to work with. Granted the seams may have been close to the edges on every other run, but that's a far cry from what you have. Not even sure if "random" is a good word.....maybe "thrown up" is better, as in barf.

Oh, welcome to the forums, and thank your husband for his service.

Old 10-03-12, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. It just seems like shoddy work to us and I'm glad others agree. I'm attaching another pic too. Not only are the seams so random but I measured the insets for shampoo etc and they're not even the same width. Ugh! (Sorry pic is sideways-I'm on my phone and I can't fix it)

Attached Images  
Old 10-03-12, 06:44 PM
Not a problem. Our heads are on sideways most of the time, anyway
I am so sorry you are having this poor installation done. It probably won't leak, but it will always look bad. Please do let us know what he says about the job. It's not quality work at all. If you could live with it, let him offer a deep, I mean DEEP discount for the job. Otherwise it's gotta be redone.

Old 10-04-12, 06:08 AM
I don't think your contractor is lying to you. More likely it's a misunderstanding about what you wanted and what he thought you wanted.

Old 10-04-12, 02:30 PM
No, he's not lying, he just didn't do a good job. Even if she had asked for "random" seams, he would have to work harder to keep them from being so close yet so far away, as he did. They are almost in line, but just far enough out to wonder "why".

Old 10-04-12, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
I'd suggest to anyone who may stumble on this thread....use the internet and find pictures of the style of tile setting pattern you want...print it and say "I want this". Almost every manufacturer has examples on their pages.

Old 10-04-12, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
You see in 20" tile this design? The grout lines are lined up.

And here

Every pattern I can find is like the above.

Below link is the only random patern I could find with 20" tiles. You see they used vertical and horizontal to make it look proper and make it a random look.

Thats what a tile person is supposed to do IMO.

http://www.heartofstone.co.uk/HOS/UL...esert Grey.jpg

Now IMO if it were my home I would ask for a full refund and hire a new contractor.

"Oh yes, and tell your husband thank you for his serving this great country of ours".

Old 10-05-12, 09:36 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Those tile look like porcelain that is meant to look like hardwood flooring planks. Is that what they are? If so, they are typically laid randomly to avoid a repetive pattern when installed on a floor. I would not have installed them randomly on walls though and have never seen them installed on walls. Doesnt mean they cant be installed on walls though. The pattern looks terrible in my opinion. Particularly in the corners where they should properly wrapped the corners to look like a full tile was cut in 2 (example 8" on one wall and 12" on the other wall for a full tile).

Old 10-05-12, 10:16 PM
Allyson,

The guy isn't lying but sounds like a misunderstanding at least. It doesn't sound to me that you guys went over the pattern very well. Maybe the meaning of staggered was not clear to both of you. I would have said "offset" or "running-bond" or "like brick" etc. Actually what I think you wanted is "running-bond" which by the way, is not recommended with large tiles such as yours.

So although in the past it was common to see running bond like the walls in Lawrosa's post #10, the tile manufacturers and the industry recommends no more than a 33% offset not 50%. The reason is large tiles are by nature slightly warped and the new standard minimizes lippage. Also in small spaces we sometimes have to deviate to make it work out. I'm not saying I like the overall look of the side wall, but sometimes it's difficult to offset and not do the 50% offset in a small area.

It's likely that he thought you knew what he was gonna do or left it to his discretion and you were not there when he started and therefore some time later you said something? Too late. If he is given free reign, you can't complain after the work is done unless the workmanship is bad. Obviously I don't know if that's the case, maybe not. However you may still have the upper hand in this.

By the way, I see he used the Kerdi membrane and perhaps Kerdi Drain system on the floor. If done right that is gonna be a great shower for a long time.

I just finished a 3.5x5' shower using 8x20" tiles. I stacked them vertically BTW. Wow they look very similar, just a little lighter in color. What brand are yours?

Jaz

Old 10-08-12, 01:54 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I think both parties are guilty of not nailing down specifics. "Staggered" to me can mean any pattern where the grout lines do not line up. Using terms like "Brick Pattern" or "Herring Bone" give me very specific direction. Still, myself, I would clarify with the customer by doing a quick sketch.

Looks to me that you contractor was trying to minimize waste by using the leftovers from each cut to start the next row. Brick type patterns with 20" tiles in a small shower, could leave more scrap potentially on the floor near the wet saw than what actually made it onto the wall. Which would save you money on materials.

If you haven't already finished your project, try picking a grout color that matches best the actual color of the tile. The grout lines will blend more and not be as noticable.

The fact that I see a level in the first picture tells me that the contractor cares about his work. So many just slap the product up. I'd put this in the lessons learned file.