Hairline scratches on tile?

Old 10-04-12, 09:34 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hairline scratches on tile?

I have a few tiles where keys were run against them very hard and left hairline scratches. Wondering if there is a preferred way to hide this.

Was told to try applying Barkeepers Friend in powder form then scrubbing which did help but still somewhat visible. Also read about using toothpaste? What about those 'kits' they sell at Home Depot?

Even one youtube video was to get some grout and basically press the muddy grout into the scratch to hide it

Before I start trying things that would make it worse I wanted to ask on here
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-12, 09:50 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
What kind of tiles? What do you see in the scratches - the same color or has the scratch gone through the top color layer?

Old 10-04-12, 10:09 AM
R
Ceramic or Porcelain. To be honest I have no idea how to tell the difference. This is in 2 parts of my home. One in my bathroom where I have a plain matte white finish, and other are larger tiles in my living room where its a beige color with darker colors swirled in (common style-hard to describe)

Perhaps later I can post pictures

Old 10-04-12, 11:05 AM
S
Group Moderator
Old 10-04-12, 11:11 AM
R
Ok great. ill get some pictures this evening or tomorrow morning after work

Unrelated but this is my first day (first few hours in fact) on this site ever and already impressed by the great responses and help on about 10 different posts Ive put on across all different categories. Very thankful!

Old 10-04-12, 03:50 PM
R
Here are a few pictures of the living room tile. The first is actually much thinner than the 2nd/3rd (same just diff angle). Also in the first picture is a cat hair (perpendicular line), just fyi

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 2780
Size:  22.1 KB

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 1941
Size:  17.4 KB

Name:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  14.5 KB

Old 10-04-12, 04:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
That looks more like a crack to me. If you tap on those tiles and the ones without the scratch/crack - do they sound the same or is it a different tone?

Old 10-04-12, 04:17 PM
R
Neither of them are hollow sounding. THe first picture is 100% not a crack as I caused this myself when I was moving a bedframe to my mattress and it had a sharp object sticking out. I dragged it about 3 ft not realizing the damage it was doing.

The 2nd and 3rd pics were here when I took ownership of my home about 9 mo ago so I cant say for sure

The ones in my bathroom I mentioned were caused by keys when I had a plumber over and him scraping the tile. So nice of him lol

Old 10-05-12, 07:40 AM
W
Tile is pretty hard. What you are seeing could be metal left on the tile surface. Have you tried scrubbing ?

Old 10-05-12, 10:05 AM
R
I dont believe its metal as I can feel the indentation with my fingernail. I havent really tried much yet but I do know the Barkeepers Friend thing (+ scrubbing) lightened it dramatically on my ALL WHITE bathroom tile. Figured Id come here before possibly making it worse

Thanks!

Old 10-05-12, 10:11 AM
S
Group Moderator
Hard to tell from the pictures - if the scratch goes through the color layer, you're only option would be to replace the tiles. If not, you may be able to sand or buff this out.

Old 10-05-12, 10:45 AM
R
Any tips on how to best sand/buff tile? Thx

Old 10-05-12, 12:33 PM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Some of those look like hairline cracks instead of scratches. If they are scratches try the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. If the scratches are to deep and cannot be removed/repaired the tiles will have to be replaced. Most likely you'll have to replace the tiles.

Old 10-05-12, 12:51 PM
W
One of the marks looks like it extends under the baseboard. Now I'm thinking crack.

I tried to scratch a piece of porcelain tile and it wasn't easy. I tried keys, nails, hardened screws etc. They all left a mark that came off easily. It wasn't until I used the edge of a file that I made a scratch and it was obviously shallow. What I see in the picture looks an awful lot like a hairline crack.

Old 10-05-12, 02:01 PM
R
as mentioned...

Picture 1 was caused by me so i know for sure it was a scratch.
Picture 2 & 3 (same thing) was there before I moved it so it could be a crack for sure

Picture 1 is much finer than 2/3 but the picture with flash exaggerates it some
I do have a magic eraser so ill try scrubbing with that and notify you guys of results