Ceramic and porcelain tile water absorption

Old 10-19-12, 11:44 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic and porcelain tile water absorption

Anyone know the water absorption rating of typical residential tiles sold at big box stores? Are they non-vitreous, impervious or something in between?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-12, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
I was told to use porcelain tile at all costs. This was at a tile store I recently went to. Getting ready to redo the kitchen floor. Less water absorption, and stronger like if you drop a plate or cup or something.

Old 10-20-12, 08:35 AM
W
I used porcelain tile in the last two bathrooms that I tiled. Besides cost, the biggest thing to know is porcelain is a lot tougher than ceramic. I have a cheap tile cutter that I've used to cut a lot of ceramic tiles but it screws up the porcelain. I had to use a wet saw. It's also a lot harder to drill. Diamond coated bits are a must.

I tore up a perfectly good tile floor in my kitchen and replaced it with wood. I wish I had kept the tile.

Old 10-22-12, 07:09 PM
A
most major tile manufacturers have a rating on the tile as far as water absorption is concerned. generally true porcelain tile has less than 0.5% water absorption. Clay bodied tile has a much higher rate, thus its not to be used outside in freeze thaw enviroments. Be carefull tho, some clay bodied tile have a porcelain glaze, not true porcelain tile. there is also a hardness scale for tile, separated from water aborption. As far as the big box stores, well, its the individual tile, not the seller that determines the water absorption. The big box stores sell many brands.