replacing peel and stick vinyl tiles

Old 10-19-12, 06:18 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacing peel and stick vinyl tiles

I am replacing peel and stick tiles and have removed only the top layer of the old tiles, leaving a black, smooth layer. Can I install the new peel and stick tiles on this layer?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-12, 03:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Were the original tiles peel and stick? What is the black residue? If the tiles were VCT and the black residue is glue, there is a possibility of asbestos. How old is the house and when do you think the original tiles were set? Maybe you could post a couple of pictures of what you have so we can see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 10-20-12, 07:30 PM
M
The tiles were put down about 5 years ago. Some tiles had corners beginning to peel, with only the color and design coming up. Since I planned to change the color of the floor, I pulled one loose corner up and was able to take the entire top layer off of one tile, which happened to be under a throw rug! What I pulled off was quite thin, leaving a thicker black pad still stuck to the floor. I am not able to post a picture tonight.

Old 10-24-12, 09:31 AM
M
Question no picture available

Because the old bathroom tiles were only 5 years old, I am sure there is no asbestos. What is left on the floor still glued down by the adhesive on these tiles is a black layer about 1/8 inch thick. It has a slight rubber feel to it and a dull finish. The layer that I peeled off was paper thin. I am wondering if the new peel and stick tiles that I want to put down will adhere to this layer still on the floor.

Old 10-24-12, 09:43 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Maybe but vinyl is very good at relaying what is beneath it - you will likely have tiles sticking up over those around it if you do not remove this layer and bumpy tiles if the surface to which they are applied is not smooth.

Are you using more of the same tiles? If so, you're likely to be back here again down the road, this is a good time to evaluate whether you should remove everything and put down something more durable, be it better/thicker vinyl or something else entirely.

Old 10-24-12, 12:29 PM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Mrs.

You should be able to remove what you have pretty easily with a heat gun or hair dryer and a scraper. Apply some heat and it should come right up.

Old 10-24-12, 03:14 PM
W
MrsJ

Have you considered replacing the vinyl tiles with a different flooring material?
I replaced vinyl sheet with peel and stick tiles in a bathroom. Bluntly, they sucked. Within a few months several were curling at the corners, a year later and the floor looked worse than the 20 year old vinyl sheet they replaced.

It took a lot of elbow grease to remove them. Lots of black gunk to scrape up. Like Heresjohnny said heat will help.