Hardened Grout in Bag

Old 11-01-12, 08:20 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardened Grout in Bag

So I need to regrout part of my bathroom and the previous homeowners left the bag of grout that was used to do the the job in the first place. The problem is that the grout has hardened in the bag (it was stored in the basement). It's not hard like the grout is when it is put in, and I can break it up and mash it down. Is the grout still OK to use or am I better off going and getting new stuff?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-12, 09:33 PM
A
go for new, why take the chance? the old grout and its additives have been destroyed by the humidity. if you mixed it and applied it, it wouldn't harden because the bonding agents have expired.

Old 11-02-12, 05:49 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
When water is added to dry grout a non-reversible chemical change occurs. Water is water be it from the air or from the tap.

Old 11-02-12, 05:58 AM
B
That's what I kind of figured. Thanks guys. The reason I asked is that I only need a very small amount so I didn't want to buy a big bag of it if I didn't have to, but it sounds like I need to. Thanks for the help!

Old 11-02-12, 09:55 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
You can buy grout in one pound boxes.

Old 11-02-12, 10:34 AM
B
You can buy grout in one pound boxes.

When I looked at HD the other day I didn't see anything that small that matched the color. I'll have to dig more.

Old 11-02-12, 07:47 PM
J
Grout and all Portland products have a safe-shelf life of about one year from the day it was made if not opened and stored in a conditioned space. Once opened it can go bad in a few months.

However, keep in mind that the powder does not have to get hard for it to be bad. Powder that looks normal can be bad if too old or not stored correctly.

The best reason to keep a bag of grout is for identification when a repair is needed.

Jaz