Plastic Shower and tiling

Old 11-12-12, 09:37 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plastic Shower and tiling

We've had our bathroom remodeled, short of the actual shower which we want to replace with the glass wall type design with tiled walls, etc.

Right now until we can get it replaced we still have the old plastic shell one in place. What we've done so far in the bathroom is new tile, trim board, toilet, vanity, removed wall texture, etc.

The only thing we are encountering is that upon exiting the shower there seems to be a spot where when opening the door, water comes off the door and comes in contact with the fiberboard trim piece. Which obviously has now swelled and need of replacing.

What I would like to accomplish is add on to my existing trim job and create a tile trim that would be placed on the outside of the plastic shower shell, and then on either side to replace the fiber board.

The question I have, is am I able to grout and apply ceramic tiles straight onto the plastic shower shell, or is there anything I need to prep it with, or something I should put on it and then on?

My other question, is the reason I am doing this is to not have to replace that trim board every month, and to keep any water/mold off the drywall behind it. The water is getting on the floor from the door being opened. What will keep the water from soaking through the grout and still getting to the drywall behind it? Should I put anything behind on top of that now exposed drywall before I replace those little pieces of tile as my "trim"

I'm sending pictures to my email so I'll get those up soon if this was confusing.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-12, 10:19 AM
B
Well only 1 of them wanted to upload. But it's the same on either side, I want to replace that small 3-4 inch piece with tile, and will also be putting tile straight onto the face of directly onto the plastic.

Same questions as before, pictures for reference.

Attached Images  
Old 11-12-12, 10:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 262 Posts
If I understand correctly you want to replace a piece of trim directly below the door ?? and it's not part of the shower?

I doubt if you can get tile to adhere long term to the shower enclosure [plastic] you would need to install cement board first and then tile the cement board. Was the top of the piece that swelled - caulked and painted with enamel?...... or am I misunderstanding your question?

Old 11-12-12, 11:14 AM
B
hmm. the picture was right side up when I openned it up...

you can see the new tile in bathroom, and the vertical beige face of the plastic shower pan, then to the right is very small piece of trim board. That vertical beige face, and small trim board pieces are what I'm looking to put tile on.

I've seen that cement board, it comes in huge sheets, all I need is little 3" x 48" strip. How do I go about attaching the cement board then?

Old 11-12-12, 11:20 AM
B
Also, the trim board was painted with latex paint, and not caulked on the side that is touch the shower or floor.

Old 11-12-12, 11:59 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Water should not be leaking to the outside. Stop the water and you fix the problem. Make sure that there is a negative slope on the bottom piece of door trim so that water will flow back into the shower. Also check that both the verticle and horizontal edges of the shower door trim are caulked tight to the shower itself. Pay close attention to the area where the two pieces of door trim meet at the bottom. Remove any old caulk and re-caulk with a clear adhesive caulk designed for kitchens and baths. Do these two things and you should not leak anymore.