Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Do I need "Power Grout" or will sanded grout with a sealer work just as well

Old 11-15-12, 05:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide whether to buy regular sanded grout for the tiles in my entry foyer and then seal it, or buy a new fangled "Power Grout" that the supplier claims never stains. The regular sanded grout is 19.95 while the "Power Grout" is about $85.00. The tiles I am installing are a dark grey porcelain with a grout to match. It is almost black. I don't think I even need to seal it (if I go with the regular sanded grout) because the grout is so dark to begin with I can't see how it staining might affect it's appearance.

Thoughts?.......

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-12, 05:40 PM
A
the "power grout" you are referring to is probably a epoxy grout or one of the new designer stain proof grouts. Should be no need for them in a entryway, its a bit of a overkill. I would still use a sealer over the darker grout, reason being is that dark grouts can still be easily stained from lighter colors such as dust, dirt, spills, salt, etc tracked in. Lots of times on new construction, drywall dust or compound is the worst thing to try to clean out of grout..no matter what color the grout is

Old 11-15-12, 06:48 PM
J
Question

Hey Tile guy, thanks for the advise. Can you recommend a sealer?

Old 11-15-12, 06:56 PM
A
I'm partial to "aqua mix" products because they're easy to find. Lowes, or most tile stores have it. Get the polymer based sealers that form a barrier over the grout. the silicone based sealers or penetrating sealers seem to wash out easily and don't prevent the stain from setting in.

Old 11-15-12, 07:01 PM
J
Thanks again, Tile Guy. Its on my list!