OliveJim

Old 11-21-12, 01:14 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OliveJim

Hired a contractor to stain concrete slab. After the acid wash cleaning was done
& dried. Kemiko stain was applied set & then a de-acid application was done. Finally a penatrating sealer was used. Now the floor is a wreck. Shiny in spots notr in others. Water beads up when oured onto floor so it appears that the sealer is working. However there are spots & discolorations that are present that weren't even there before. Now I am being told that I can't apply ceramic tile as a cover up,
due to the sealer. OK so I'll put in a floating engineered Hardwood floor.. What can I
do about the bathroom floor? Is there anyway that I can put down a ceramic tle in the bathroom? Sealer can't be removed as per manufacturer. What recommendations does anyone have?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-12, 06:03 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
You need to rough up the surface to give whatever adhesives/thinsets something to grab onto. Scarifying the surface would do the trick. Machines are available for rental with diamond blades to do make the job easier. Then I would test a small area to see how well thinset adheres. Thinset from a bag (mis your own) not a tub.

Old 11-22-12, 06:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Have you talked with your floor guy about the look of his finished product? I wonder if another coat of sealer would even out the shine.

Old 11-23-12, 06:04 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
What does the contractor have to say?

Has he been completely paid?

Old 11-23-12, 03:49 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would ask the contractor to apply another coat of sealer.

If that doesn't solve the problem and you decide to tile, I suggest contacting a couple of the big name thinset manufacturers to see if they have a product that will adhere to concrete. I would also contact manufacturers of Type 1 mastics such as OmniGrip.

An e-mail to their customer service reps only takes a minute and the worst that could happen is that you would have to scarify the surface.