tile floor in new foyer not flush with existing floor

Old 11-21-12, 02:12 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tile floor in new foyer not flush with existing floor

Ok, Here is a riddle that needs solving. I am building a new foyer adjacent to my existing house. I asked the contractor to make the foyer floor flush with existing finished floor elevation (FFE) of the existing house when completed (I did the drawings). The tile guy started today and discovered that the slab of new foyer is 1-1/2 below FFE. That means there will be a 1/2 inch difference between the foyer and existing floor. I asked the tile guy to install a 1/2-3/4" leveling course to help get foyer flush but that means the bottom of the new door in the new foyer will only be about 1/2" from the floor, making it impossible to put a rug there (because it will block the door) and the rubber flashing on bottom of door would scrape the floor when the door opens or closes.

So I am trying to figure out how to take up about 1/2" between new tile floor and existing hardwood floor. the tile guy suggested installing a 4" wide threshold tile that is angle upward towards hardwood floor and then taking about 2" of hardwood floor out and installing a custom hardwood threshold piece that bevels down to the tiles. My concern is that this will look awkward and potentially be a tripping hazard?

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-12, 02:58 PM
J
Oops, I made an error. The difference between the existing hardwood floor and new tile floor is 1", not one half inch.

Old 11-21-12, 03:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Where did the error come in....your drawings, or your contractor not following your drawings, or following the wrong criteria in the drawings?? One inch is a cliff, not a bevel mistake. If it were me, I'd have the contractor back out for a little talk. How large is this foyer, and is it bounded by the house on all sides. Pix would help.

Old 11-21-12, 04:15 PM
J
The error was made by contractor's foreman who admitted that he did not check the FFE when he set the forms for foyer concrete pour. the foyer interior is 6'-8" x 4'x8" with a 4' opening into existing house. attached is pdf of tile layout.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Foyer Plan.pdf (4.6 KB, 250 views)
Old 11-21-12, 04:32 PM
J
Regarding the "talk" with the contractor, I did speak to him and told him this problem resulted from his setting the foyer slab too low. He responded by stating that he needed to keep it 1-1/2" lower than the ex. FFE because he needed to make allowances in case I chose a thick 1" tile, such as stone. In my reviews of tiles I never found anything thicker than 1/2" and most tile was 1/4" thick. Is such an explanation valid? And if so how does it account for the fact that setting the foyer tiles flush with the ex floor will make it difficult to open and close the foyer door?

Old 11-21-12, 04:58 PM

Sounds like you're not going to get anywhere with him.....

You are right that the explanation makes no sense as now there is the door issue.

Trying to "match" the two levels with an incline like that will surely be a trip hazard.

It won't be pretty when Gammy falls and breaks a hip at the Christmas dinner.

How far finished is the interior and exterior walls that surround the exterior door?

Meaning......can the door be removed.....rough opening adjusted.....and the door raised?

Depending on the door material and frame style......there is another *cough* option.

You could perhaps cut the bottom of the door and build up the threshold.

Old 11-21-12, 05:04 PM
J
Halton, thanks for your reply. The walls are finished - exterior with siding and interior ready for paint. I am considering cutting the bottom of the door and building up that threshold, but that has its own *cough* challenges. I will keep you posted on how this all works out.....

Old 11-21-12, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
Have him do whatever it takes to make the floors flush (probably add a 1" mortar bed), since that was clearly the intended goal. Do NOT cut the door or make alterations to it.

Have him uninstall the entire prehung door along with the interior and exterior trim and do whatever it takes to reinstall it 1" higher than it currently is. Setting the door too low was an oversight on his part... especially if he was "allowing for the possibility of a 1" stone floor".

End of problem.

Old 11-25-12, 07:16 PM
J
You cannot have both sides the same level and also have enough clearance for a rug. If you want the rug, the door needs to be set high just as is was before the addition. That's why we walk over a threshold in most cases. When the floors are the same level, it's like an interior doorway from hall to bedroom, for example, no room for a rug.

The tile setter can place deck mud on the new lower slab, and therefore a normal 1/2" or so gap will be fine. You can place a rug at the exterior door or on the side of this door that does not swing. Then the rug will be the trip hazard.

Jaz